82 wing battery dying

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
chargincharlie
Motorcycle: 1982 honda goldwing 1100

82 wing battery dying

Postby chargincharlie » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:00 pm

ok replaced engine now after a few days of riding battery goes dead could the rectifier also cause this problem dont realy feel like removing engine again to replace stator when i run engine the head like flickers what wires do i check on rectifier ? and whats the volts ? i know about checking the stator 3 yellow wires thank

Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Re: 82 wing battery dying

Postby Hoosier Jack » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:58 pm

Check your battery first with a multimeter. It should be showing over 12 volts. If not, put it on a low amp charger overnight and then check it in the morning. If the bike is running you can tell if your stator is okay by checking the voltage at idle, then rev the bike up over 3000 rpm and see if the voltage rises. If the voltage keeps going lower, there may be a parasitic drain somewhere in the electrical system. Something that is draining power while the bike sits. There are without a doubt more sophisticated tests, but here is a start.

chargincharlie
Motorcycle: 1982 honda goldwing 1100

Re: 82 wing battery dying

Postby chargincharlie » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:54 pm

thanks what i did is changed rectifier had a spare also went ahead and replaced battery so i fully charged new battery and old battery low and behold today the new battery ran low on juice so guess its time to change stator i have one from engine i removed and it worked fine im thinking on using it but anyways glad i got to fully charged batterys so if i ride and one quits i have another to get me home like happened today realy dont feel like removing engine again what a pain in the a**

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”