rear brake was froze, got it moving now it about falls down

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
halcombrick
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

rear brake was froze, got it moving now it about falls down

Postby halcombrick » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:07 am

hey guys, i know there has been so many brake posts and i searched but couldnt find an answer, my brake pedal would not move, it seemed welded, so i searched the group amnd read up on how to unstick it, i didnt have to take it off, i used pb blaster, motor oil and everyday i would go out and step on the pedal or kick it, after a while it began to move, now i have it completely freed up and when its pushed it springs back up very quickly, the problem is that there is absolutely no kind of resistance of pressure on it at all, its like its just a dead pedal,i mean it feels like its not even hooked up to the master cylinder, i checked for leaks and it is not leaking and i am full of fluid, so i am hoping that since the pedal froze up on the po and its been a year since it was used because since the pedal wouldnt move they thought it needed a rear master cylinder, that maybe the fuid just drained out of the caliper and maybe it just needs a good bleeding, am i on the right track with this line of thinking or is their something else i should check, i hope its just a bleeding issue, i really dont like having to ride with just the front hand brake especially if i have to stop quick, thanks for the input guys.....hal

Rick, 82 GL1100 Interstate

tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Re: rear brake was froze, got it moving now it about falls down

Postby tom84std » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:59 pm

You really need to remove the pedal and clean/grease the pivot. If the pedal was stuck down for very long, you may have gotten some moisture in the cylinder. Since it's bare steel inside the cylinder, any moisture will really damage it. If the piston was stuck down for a lengthy period, the rust could be jamming it and holding it from returning back, overcoming the return spring. I'd really want to examine it closely and replace all the expendable neoprene parts. If all this has happened I'd really want to go a step further and purge everything to insure you've got fresh fluid everywhere.

halcombrick

Postby halcombrick » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:50 pm

i should have included more details, it was froze in the up position, at first i could stand on the brake pedal , all my weight and i am right at 300 lbs! every day when i was working on the bike i would spray pb blaster on it and try yo move it, after about 2 weeks of this i was changing my valve covers ahnd before i sat down on the ground i stepped on it and it moved some. then i began to work it with my foot, stomp it down and kick it back up, finally i went and got me some 20/50 oil and poured it all over the pivot shaft hoping that some oil wouild seep inside the pedal and get onm the shaft. it got on there and the pedal works fine it springs right back up on its own hard but when i push the pedal down i have no brakes, its a dead pedal i do not feel any resistance at all, im hoping that it froze up, the po thought it was the master cylinder and just said screw it, so does anybody think that it just needs a good bleeding? the front brake works perfectly i mean great stopping power, but it is nerve racking riding with just the front brake, ANY AND ALL ADVISE ISWELCOME, IN THE SEARCH BOX I FOUND PLENTY ABOUT PEDALS THAT WONT COME UP BUT NOTHING ABOUT PEDAL THAT HAVE NO PRESSURE TO THEM AT ALL. I KNOW SOMEBODY OUT THERE HAS HAD TO HAVE THIS HAPPEN TO THEM AT SOME POINT RIDING 30-40 YR OLD BIKES. I WILL BE PATIENTLY WATCHING AND HOPING THAT OVER TIME THE CALIPER LOST ITS PRESSURE AND JUST NEEDS A GOOD BLEEDING ,,,THANKS A TON GUYS,,,HAL

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:10 am

Bleed it and see? I have a feeling you're going to be pulling the rear master for a rebuild though. When I got my 1100 it had the same frozen pedal too. After days of working it, I got it freed but the piston in the master stayed stuck in. Easy enough job to get the rear master off on an 1100. Just be glad it's not a 1500.

halcombrick

Postby halcombrick » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:18 am

thanks brother, i take it that it is a pain to remove it on a 1500, whats the hardest part about that? i dont have a 1500 or anything just trying to increase my wing knowledge..thanks hal

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:33 pm

The rear master on the 1500 is in the same general place as an 1100 but in order to get to it, you have to remove this, but to remove this, you first have to remove that, but to remove that you first have to remove the other and so on. Bunches of plastics, heat shields, exhaust, battery box, etc.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:18 pm

Yes I can vouch for that on the 1500. I dont think it was possible to bury the rear master cylinder any more. I replaced mine and had to take off things like the right exhaust header, everything from the exhaust crossover on back and many many heat shields up under the bike. Maybe its easier for your bike. Some have posted they did it in 6 hrs. Took me 3 weeks but I was cleaning and painting. It really needed it.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

newday777
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry to sell 36,000 miles

1999A Restored and sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Postby newday777 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:15 pm

The brakes on bikes have to be flushed and bled yearly with fresh dot4 brake fluid. If not the system gets crud buildup that won't flush out after a few years of the lack of preventative maintenance. Then it's a matter of having to open each piece of the system and doing a complete cleaning and usually a rebuild kit.
On the 1100 Honda changed parts 80-81, 82 (differences between Aspencade and std and interstate) and again in 83 again model specific. Be sure to verify your precise year before buying. Some online sellers don't specify so be careful. Read and be an informed buyer.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:39 am

Now that the rear brake pedal is moving, I'd suggest taking it off and cleaning it out, so that it doesn't freeze again next year, or the year after that. Clean it and grease it, and it will be good for another 20 years.

If it hasn't been used for that long, you're very likely going to have to rebuild the master cylinder, perhaps also rebuild the rear caliper, and flush/bleed the rear brake. Once you've done that, you'll have perfect rear brakes again.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”