It's not always a shift seal

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
urbanmadness
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100A Aspencade *sold
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

It's not always a shift seal

Postby urbanmadness » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:30 pm

My 1100 has been leaking a little oil since the say I purchased it and it's been getting worse and worse. Enough that it gets my left boot toe a nice little bath in oil and slings oil on the left saddle bag. I of course, figured, it's a shift seal. Easy to change... Until I started looking at it.

The shift seal area was pretty dry. It turned out to be a cam seal.

Soooo off I went. I bought two new valve cover gaskets from ebay (mine were in pretty poor shape, The PO had actually used RTV on it so it wouldn't leak), and a new cam seal from Bike Bandit. A gallon of oil, a new filter, a new set of plugs. I didn't bother with the belts because they have less then a year on them and only about 6k miles on them. And of course a gallon of Power Purple and a couple of scrub brushes.

It took me an afternoon, but it's done. I adjusted the valves, put in the new seal... On that seal, do you guys just pick out the old one, and press in the new one? The way I did it, was take the cam out, take the old seal off the cam, then slide the new seal on and then set it back in place while placing the cam back in place. Probably overkill, but it worked well for me.

The old seal was differently bad. The spring that goes around the lip of the seal was gone.

Anyway, got the seal in, fresh oil, new valve cover gaskets, Valve adjustment, new plugs.... She's running pretty dang good now. And the best part.... No more oil on my boot! I didn't even have to pull the radiator.

It's just another thing to check on these Old Wings.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: It's not always a shift seal

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:02 pm

Sounds like a decent way to do it to me! As long as the end result works - but yes, normally it's a press-on seal.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”