Night Riding and being blinded

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Night Riding and being blinded

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:02 am

I figured a great way to not be blinded by the light at night, simply cut down the windshield, I took off 4" and it is just so I can look over it now, I almost had a accident one night because I got so blinded from the oncoming traffic I couldn't see anything, those older shields are thick and really bad for night riding in my opinion, now I just sit up straight and can see everything real nice, no more blinding lights...I used a bandsaw to cut it down with a fine tooth blade, or you can use a jig saw or sabersaw with a fine tooth blade, small file and smooth sandpaper to clean up your cut...Works for me... Littlebeaver

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: Night Riding and being blinded

Postby thrasherg » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:45 am

Did you consider polishing the old screen? Usually being blinded is due to lots of scratches on the screen causing the light from the oncoming vehicles to defract and blind you.. If the screen is in good optical condition (Not covered in scratches) it should not cause any problems with oncoming vehicles. Of course you can also chop the top off like you did, but I prefer the comfort of the taller screen.. An hour with some fine polishing compound and a soft cloth can usually do wonders for an old screen.. Then a quick coating of wax to help any rain run off the screen (another cause of blinding at night) and bob's your uncle..

Gary

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:36 pm

Yep, I did all the polishing on the windshield I'm going to do, when your on a trip at night on a old country road and bugs are splatting your shield you don't have the vision you did when you left home, or if its raining and the shield gets splatted with dirty water your vision is also no good, I think we have all experienced this at one time or another, I just had enough of it, that's all, looking over the top will be clear as the night it is... It's something I like now, I still have the protection of the screen but if I want to look over the top I can I just have to sit up straighter... I still polish the screen though when I can...sometimes you can't just stop and clean your shield off, I used the window wash squiggy at the gas stations too, but that's only good until you get to the next one... Maybe someone else wants to do the same, it sure makes a be difference to me...Options are always a good thing...later Littlebeaver

BCGoldwing
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Postby BCGoldwing » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:52 pm

Hi littlebeaver,

In case someone only needs a inch or two. There is also an adjustment for the windscreen height.

But I like the tip on cutting... I need to put a vent in there one day...

Thanks.

lhelber
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Navi
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby lhelber » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:28 am

using one of those windshield squeegees is probably one of the reasons you have all of those scratches. The ones that I have seen at gas stations are very dirty. Ok for glass but all that dirt, grit and crusty bug bits will really do a number on your plastic. I usually carry a microfiber towel and a plastic cleaner or Pledge (yes the household dusting stuff). Just spray it on and let it sit for a minute while the bugs rehydrate and then wipe them off. The Pledge also adds a silicone wax to the windshield that causes the rain to bead up and roll off the windshield like rain-X does on your car glass making it easier to see in the rain. I have also tried the cycle care formula 33 and for keeping the windshield clean it works much better but it is pretty pricey compared to the Pledge.

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:05 pm

Wow, these are all great tips, maybe I was just tired from my trip an couldn't see straight after riding for 15 hours... ha ha I like it now though..Littlebeaver

colemadad
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Postby colemadad » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:19 am

I have a tall aftermarket windshield that the PO installed that I'm going to cut down a bit. I like the height to be such that if I sit in my normal position, maybe a little upright I see over the screen but if I sloutch just a tad I can get out of the rain or whatever. It's a matter of personal taste but I find as I get "more mature" and the vision isn't what it used to be, night driving combined with scratches (no matter how much you polish) and other factors just make it more difficult to see through the windscreen anytime but during the best conditions in day light hours. Good riding everyone!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:25 pm

I've used regular Pledge on my windshield for quite some time - I take a clean towel, spray the windshield, and use the towel to clean the windshield (up and down only, never side to side). Then I take a second towel and use it to dry and polish it.

However, the original Pledge leaves an oily surface which quickly attracts dust - meaning you have to clean the windshield EVERY DAY, and sometimes more often.

Pledge introduced a new product, "Multi-Surface Cleaner" that I tried recently:

Pledge Multi-Surface Cleaner
Pledge Multi-Surface Cleaner

This stuff is FANTASTIC. It cleans and polishes as well as the old Pledge, but does not leave an oily coating, and so does not attract dust. It still causes rain to bead and run off the windshield like the old Pledge, so that's great.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”