Question about installing new carb bowl gaskets

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
vaughn
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl 1100 Aspencade

Question about installing new carb bowl gaskets

Postby vaughn » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:34 am

I got new carb bowl gaskets from Randakk's. I noticed when I removed the old ones I assume we're original there was some kind of sealer. Do I need to seal these or put them in without?
Bike is 83 Aspencade with 32,000 miles

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Question about installing new carb bowl gaskets

Postby RBGERSON » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:36 am

No sealer.and if there was some they were removed and reinstalled by a PO..
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

sportsfreaked
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1100I
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition gl1200

Postby sportsfreaked » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:43 pm

Agreed. No sealer needed just put them on and that's it :).
Thanks to all who answer and help. It is greatly appreciated!
Ed

vaughn

Postby vaughn » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:02 pm

Thanks, I worked about 3 hours tonight changed gaskets and reinstalled carbs and put parts back in place. The hardest job was putting the two throttle cables back on. I changed them 3 years ago after the pull one broke an hour from home. Rigged the push cable over on the pull side and got home . Will see if it fires up in morning. Been setting since Oct last fall. I changed the oil and put it to bed. My last ride I had a mini stroke. Was able to get stopped and parked. They checked me out and didn't find anything. Said you're good to go. Bike needs a good cleaning. Have false tank, seat, saddlebags, and trunk off. Really gets dirty under there.

sportsfreaked
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1100I
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition gl1200

Postby sportsfreaked » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:51 am

Hope it fires up and runs well for you. It is amazing how dirty and dusty it gets under the seat and such. I would think with my fat ass there wouldn't be enough room for dirt to get in there :lol: .

On a side note where is Parker, PA? I use to live in the Poconos many moons ago. Lived in Mt. Pocono across I-80 from Camelback Ski Resort. We use to be able to see Camelback Trails from our bedroom window. Best of luck to you health wise as well!
Thanks to all who answer and help. It is greatly appreciated!
Ed

Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

74 BMW R90/6

Postby Overdog » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:51 am

Hope you didn't forget the little o-ring that goes between #3 float bowl and the carb body. When I pulled my carbs apart I was surprised to find sealer on them. It didn't look like silicone but in the bottom of #3 float bowl was a blob of goo that looked just like what silicone becomes when exposed to gasoline. I pulled them because I had a leak from the accelerator pump....it was LOADED with nasty crud which caused the diaphragm to fail and gas travel up the rod and leak when the throttle was twisted. Did you pull your accelerator pump apart when you had the rack off?

vaughn

Postby vaughn » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:39 am

Put my battery in I had in basement all winter on a battery tender and didn't have enough power to turn it over. Have to check that tender out. Hooked it to charger for about an hour. Cranked a little bit and came back later and tried again. Kept doing this several times and it finally fired up. Sounded good. Checked for leaks. So far so good. Backed it out of garage into driveway and put on center stand. Left it run awhile above idle till fan kicked on and off. Now have to get air cleaner back in and get hose after it.
I changed the little o-ring. Randakk is good. Used a can of carb cleaner. Had orange residue in bottom of bowls. If I had the money I would send them to Pistol Pete. No way am I doing anything to the carbs other than bowl gaskets.
Parker, Pa is 1 hour east of Youngstown, Ohio just south of I-80

vaughn

Postby vaughn » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:42 pm

Had it out and put 20 miles on it. Running real good. Fine tuned the throttle and clutch cables. Got it all cleaned up. Going to change coolant and switch to electronic flasher to go with LED lights before I put false tank back on. After over six months it feels good to ride again. The roads are finally clean after the nasty winter we had in Pa. I have a lot of that stuff in my yard to clean out.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”