carb nightmare

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
stevenstrack
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

carb nightmare

Postby stevenstrack » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:06 pm

So the bike i bought from my neighbor would not idle. I figured the carbs were trashed from sitting for several years. I pulled the carbs over a week ago and in between satisfying the wife and running the kids around i was able to get 1, 2, & 3 carbs all cleaned and repacked. The number 4 carb was what bit me, the idle jet screw snapped off with out any effort and i screwed the carb up the rest of the way when i tried to drill/tap out with left hand drill :evil: Then i thought i got lucky and bought a new carb package off e-bay, only the description said 81-83?....it looked very similar to what i had so i bid..won...and received it today. Well #4 idle screw was slightly different head design...not a problem...but half the slotted head was sheared off. So i proceeded to boil in distilled water as the "tech manual" instructions stated and when i started to use a pair of vice grips on the piece that was left it started to move then snapped :evil: Well i got to the point where i cleaned it the best i could and repacked it. I'm really hoping that this carb won't give me any problems. I believe this must have been from a 81 because the carb was slightly disimilar than the original...there wasn't a removable jet screw on this new one #4 carb. I reassembled the carbs and plan on installing it on the bike tomorrow. My only problem is that i will not be able to adjust the idle screw and was unable to replace the packings and clean this port on #4...its stuck where its at. I did adjust my valves and hopefully when i get it all back together it will run better than when i took it apart. Hope to be riding soon and not tearing it back apart. Beware all when breaking down the carbs with these old idle screws....very fragile!!!!

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: carb nightmare

Postby thrasherg » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:15 am

Sorry to hear about all your problems. Fingers crossed this fixes your issue.. :cry:

stevenstrack

Postby stevenstrack » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:03 pm

So I got the carbs in and primed...after i got her started she was purring or puttering around 950 rpm :) but apparently i was only running on three cylinders. I looked down at my right side pipes and saw a pin hole in my muffler where the pipes are clamped to the frame...at first i was puzzled because alot of fuel was spewing out of the pin hole then i realized the #3 carb (which my gage wasn't reading any vacumn) wasn't firing :evil: . I musta been flooding the pipes with out #3 firing. A little movement of the plug wires and she started firing but i also saw a fuel leak i believe coming from somewhere around #1 carb so i will have to take the carbs out to investigate and fix this :evil: . Also, after her initial warm up she started idling very fast between 3-4000 rpm. When i made my preliminary idle screw adjustment the manual said 3 turn out??? I think this is way too far possibly does anyone have a sugestion for this or is there some other adjustment that i missed?. The bike is a 83 GL1100 but I believe the #4 Carb is a from a 80-81 that i got off ebay, i really hope that the #4 carb isn't causing the high rpm because the idle screw for this one is inop (sheared off). Is this a common occurance with the #4 carbs??? Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is my first carb rebuild that i have ever attempted. I'm gonna make some tacos and drink a beer and think about my next move. The only thing good is i have learned alot about these carbs so taking them apart again should go alot quicker...and I really only have to do half. Looking forward to fixing this so i can start riding.

MJSantos
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Postby MJSantos » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:06 pm

If the screw that is sheared off is what I'm thinking about it only adjusts the mixture ever so slightly at idle. That much fuel passing through indicates a float problem on either one or three or possibly both. Did you do a fluid test on the bench before you reinstalled them?

stevenstrack

Postby stevenstrack » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:14 am

What is a bench fluid test? I took the carbs out Saturday and looked at both the 1/8 & 1/4 diameter transfer tubes for distortion and o-ring which appeared fine. I took off the float bowl gasket as well and it appeared fine. I reassembled and still have a problem with fuel leaking from #1 carb and high running RPM 3000-4000. The float only has the float seat (brass), the needle with spring that slides on the float, float and pin retainer. How is the float adjusted? Have i missed anything? I was thinking of trying to find a packing possibly slightly larger in diameter to see if this stops my fuel leak on the transfer tubes or do you think the float is actually stuck and fuel keeps rising. Getting frustrated with this!!! I'm primarly focused on #1 carb but should i recheck the rest? Also what is your take on possibly adjusting the idle screws to maybe 2 turns out instead of 3 turns out? Thanks for the help!!

MJSantos
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Postby MJSantos » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:50 am

To Fluid Bench Test. What I did was take a small gas can and set it above the carbs roughly 5 feet. Then took my siphon and hooked it up to the fuel inlet on #3 carb then started the siphon from the gas can. This will allow you to see where the elak is coming from amd will check to see if the float are actually shutting off the fuel flow on each carb. The height of the gas can simultes the fuel pump pressure.

Also when you rebuilt the carbs did you replace the floats valves and seats? A lot of after market kits have faulty replacements. Found this out myself. Go to Randaks website: http://www.randakks.com/, he has a great section on carb rebuilding. The floats themselves are adjusted by bending the tabs, Randaks explains this. The float valves don't controll the fuel between the carbs. For the "o" rings on the transfer tubes I ordered them from:http://crc2onlinecatalog.com/.

stevenstrack

Postby stevenstrack » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:02 pm

HELP! I took the carbs out and did the float test and found #1 carb float was sticking allowing fuel to pour into the air intake. I adjusted the float and bench tested good & reinstalled. I set the only three good idle screws at 2 1/2 tuns out and started her up (#4 carb the idle screw is sheared off and i think it is a 1980-1981). After start up I don't have any fuel leaks but was idling very high at 3000-4000 rpm and #2 exhaust pipe started glowing red hot so i shut her down. I readjusted the idle screw IN so it now is only 1 turn out and restarted and i'm still idling at 3000-4000. Obviously i'm not a carb mechanic....should i be screwing out to bring the idle down or did i screw something up? :oops:

stevenstrack

Postby stevenstrack » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:12 pm

Thanks Mr. Santos for your help. I also used to live in York PA on Crows Nest Lane below the Country Club Of York, graduated from York Suburban H.S. in 1979 and served in US Navy for 20 years. I hope to get this bike running smooth soon, tell me it's something simple!

MJSantos
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Postby MJSantos » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:04 pm

Sounds like the carbs are still off on the 2/4 side. Air fuel is off caused by the sync being off. This would give a choke condition that makes it run rich and have the fast idle.

I'll send you a PM since we are here in York, PA

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”