Electrical - fuse box

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Stubbegubb
Motorcycle: 1980 GL110 Interstate

Electrical - fuse box

Postby Stubbegubb » Sat May 02, 2015 12:12 am

I just bought a 1980 GL1100 Interstate that at some time was imported used to Norway from the US. Basically in good shape and technically sound, 55.000 miles, but some small fixes to be done mostly on electrics. There is a GPS installed that is connected to draw power from the terminals at the end of the fuse box in the fake tank compartment. However, there is no power on the GPS, and when I measure the terminals at the fuse box there is no reading. Everything else is working ok (except the horn, but that seems to be the horn button), so the fuse box seems to be doing its job. I get readings across the fuses when I operate blinkers etc. I have no idea if there is supposed to be power at these terminals, but it seems probable seeing that the GPS is connected there. According to the previous owner the GPS has worked in the past. The GPS came with car adapter as well, has tested it and it works ok. I am not very concerned about not having the GPS as I am not going to use it, but am concerned if there is some fault in the electrics. Thankful for suggestions, as I am at a very basic level on electrics. Also the radio is not working and there is an array of switches on the lefthand lower panel of the fairing that seems not original and to do nothing, and there is a birds nest of wiring with loose ends inside the fairing on that side, so I guess I have a job checking it out and removing all excess wiring.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Electrical - fuse box

Postby RBGERSON » Sat May 02, 2015 7:55 am

There a bunch of clam shell fuses in the fairing on OEm radio set-ups..a pic of the panel would tell us if it's OEM or not. The end contacts on the fuse box were for additions..check for v's on the contacts.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sat May 02, 2015 7:57 am

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Stubbegubb
Motorcycle: 1980 GL110 Interstate

Postby Stubbegubb » Sat May 02, 2015 1:34 pm

Thanks for replies. I will have to study the diagram to try to make sense of this. Have checked the horn switch, and the whole left switch assembly looks OK. Took off one horn and tested it, it works but the wires to the horns have no power. Suspect I will have to remove fake tank and start checking wires and connections from the battery outwards. Will have to wait for a warmer day, garage is occupied by another bike project.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”