1983 GL1100 seized flare nuts on brake lines

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
jmrunner
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Standard

1983 GL1100 seized flare nuts on brake lines

Postby jmrunner » Thu May 07, 2015 7:01 pm

Hi, I tried doing some searching and couldn't come up with a match so if this has already been dealt with before on the forums please point me in the right direction.

I have a 1983 GL1100 that I bought last season and rode a couple thousand miles. Now that I believe in it, I'm going through and making some of the upgrades I've read about.

I'm in the process of upgrading the brake lines to stainless steel lines. I routed the new ones over the old and pulled the old banjo fittings and attached the new lines using the banjo fittings. That went without a hitch. The problem is that the flare nuts on the old lines that attach to the hard line are seized. Not only are they seized, but the mounts on both flex easily so I can't apply much torque. The flare nuts are also really low profile so it's tough to get a wrench to hold. I've had liquid wrench soaking on them for more than 24 hours now and I still can't budge either of them. Judging by the brake lines, they may still be on from the factory.

I'm about to the point of getting the Dremel out and trying to cut them off. Has anyone been down this path already and have suggestions? Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
John

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: 1983 GL1100 seized flare nuts on brake lines

Postby virgilmobile » Thu May 07, 2015 9:34 pm

Mix 50% automatic transmission fluid and acetone (finger nail polish remover)...use this as penitrating fluid.Just a little.
Many years ago I had problems getting a tie rod end out...beat on That thing for hours.
Finally it just fell loose because I hit it in just the right spot....
if possible....
where the nut screws in..you would want to support 90° from it with a hammer and smack the opposite side with another hammer...
This will briefly compress the threaded housing onto the nut..the result and shock usually will free the stuck threads.
I do suggest buying or making a "line wrench " to fit that nut too.There different than a regular open end.
Absolutely do not use a torch....brake fluid is flamable.
Sometimes,constant torque and a smack will get them to pop loose....

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”