Drips from Radiator when cold

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Drips from Radiator when cold

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Fri May 08, 2015 9:33 pm

Guys,

Over the last few mornings - it has been getting a bit colder here (we are now heading towards our winter), I have noticed just a few drops of coolant - right under the middle of the radiator. My fist thoughts were it's the water pump seal gone, but on investigation that area was as dry as a bone. On looking further the bottom hose going to the water pump cover is good - no leaks there. So I put it down to gremlins.

This morning there was a reasonable sized area of coolant - so I had to check it further. Took off the lower radiator protector - and discovered where the leak was coming from - it was the lower radiator hose - and leaking from the top connection. I tightened it up a couple of turns, and pretty sure problem is solved.

I was surprised that maybe a few degrees change in overnight temperature caused enough shrinkage of the hose to let it drip. But will see if my fix worked tomorrow morning. Plus it wasn't leaking as soon as the bike was running - have checked the coolant level and all is good.

I did replace the hose a few months ago with a new one, and new clamp as well- so am confident it was not a problem with either of those items.

:)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Drips from Radiator when cold

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 11, 2015 11:04 am

Very common. The clamps do loosen up over time, and it's pretty normal to see a few drops of coolant underneath the bike when it gets cold. You can either ignore it, or do as you did and tighten the offender. I actually ended up replacing a bunch of the spring clamps with quality screw clamps when I replaced my hoses, and those should never come loose.

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Re: Drips from Radiator when cold

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Mon May 11, 2015 4:42 pm

The clamps I used were the screw clamps - used an 8mm socket to do them up. Quite surprising as I had torqued them up firmly when they first went on. glad it was only a leak from here and not anything more serious like a hole in the radiator.

thanks for the reply. :)

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”