Progressive front springs

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Progressive front springs

Postby redbug » Mon May 11, 2015 1:32 pm

While reading the instructions for installation of the progressive front fork springs for the 83 1100 it sez,20w fork oil at 5.5 inches from the top fully collapsed. Ok, no problem with that but lets say you want to change the fork oil by using the drain plug and refilling thru the air port of the shock, does any one have a capacity in ounces figured out? I really don't want to pull the fork and fill it every time and refill. Now I know in the manual they give measurements in ounces both dry fill and drain and fill, but like progressive has the different setup and they stress no over fill do to maybe blowing out the fork seals. Man 20 wt. oil sure seems heavy but I know they are the spring guys so I will go with it. Thanks..

" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

74 BMW R90/6

Re: Progressive front springs

Postby Overdog » Tue May 12, 2015 6:16 pm

No answer yet I see.... I've been watching the thread to find the answer as well I'm about to install progressive springs in my 83.....haven't even opened the package yet. Is it 5 1/2 inches with or without the springs inserted? When I install them I could put in the right amount then pour it out and measure it, if that would help 'ya.....

dodge
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200I Goldwing, 1982 GL1100 Standard

Postby dodge » Tue May 12, 2015 8:16 pm

It's with them collapsed and springs out. The manual has an amount in ounces but it will be a little shy of the 5.5 inches. I made a measuring tool with 5.5 inches marked on it. I will tell you this when you get close it only takes a very small amount to raise the level in the forks. I had to pour some out and re-pour several times before I was happy. I used 15 wt. and 20 wt. mixed evenly. I thought 20 might be a tad stiff as well. You will better served if you pull the forks off the bike. I haven't ridden my 82 yet as I am waiting on my carbs to come back from Mike Nixon. Good luck and ride safely.

redbug
1986 Harley FLHT

Postby redbug » Tue May 12, 2015 8:29 pm

Yes the spring will be out since it is fully collapsed and measured. Since this is a dry fill I will fill and then drain and refill again. Doing this both ways will give me both refill capacities. Honda book sez that there is .7 oz difference in dry fill vs just drain. Just for grins I will fill to Honda specs and check the height to see the difference. All I was really trying to do was save from pulling the tubes to save a step, but there off now so testing and evaluation begins. My springs will be in tomorrow and one more fork bushing will be in Friday, so I can rebuild one completely now. I will post the results so you can use them for a reference if you wish.
I have read lots of post here on replacing with progressive springs but all I saw was atf or 10 w for fill and everyone seems happy with that, knowing there is a post on the 20w as prescribed and not found yet to see there assessment. Its all good. And looky here, dodge stopped by while I was typing this . That's good info for sure...
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

redbug
1986 Harley FLHT

Postby redbug » Fri May 15, 2015 11:02 am

Ok, here are my measurements on the progressive springs at 5.5 inches from the top which is max according to progressive instructions. 9.5 oz. for dry fill and 8.5 for drain and fill. You can go a shade under and be ok as long as both levels remain equal.
Now I did drain the fork oil from the drain bolt at a angle and let the oil drain and you can get a little more oil out by pushing up on the bottom. Now these measurements were made with fork in the vice (protected by wood) and measured to be level at two angles 90 degrees apart. Hope this helps. Note to self....be sure drain plug is installed before filling.
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Fri May 15, 2015 5:14 pm

redbug wrote:Ok, here are my measurements on the progressive springs at 5.5 inches from the top which is max according to progressive instructions. 9.5 oz. for dry fill and 8.5 for drain and fill. You can go a shade under and be ok as long as both levels remain equal.
Now I did drain the fork oil from the drain bolt at a angle and let the oil drain and you can get a little more oil out by pushing up on the bottom. Now these measurements were made with fork in the vice (protected by wood) and measured to be level at two angles 90 degrees apart. Hope this helps. Note to self....be sure drain plug is installed before filling.

As quoted, 8.5 for a refill.
After I installed the springs,I used the recommended oil from progressive-after all, it is the oil the manufacturer recommended for a gl1100.
I am sure they did the research and tests for the prescribed application.
It is an easy project to overthink. I have had no problems with handling or stiffness, but I suppose that is subjective.
Regards, Johnny

dodge
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200I Goldwing, 1982 GL1100 Standard

Postby dodge » Fri May 15, 2015 5:40 pm

Glad yours has worked out. I still don't have my 1100 back together but it is getting closer. I appreciate the follow up info hope it helps others. Ride safe!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”