fairings or not

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
cruzy
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100

fairings or not

Postby cruzy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:52 am

Hi guys just bought my first gl 1100 goldwing it has front fairing which i have just removed found the wiring shocking is it a very hard job to bring back to original .Thinking of leaving the fairing off think it looks a lot better but not sure how to replace lights indicaters ect.Any help would be grateful.

MJSantos
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Re: fairings or not

Postby MJSantos » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:48 pm

Actually once the fairing wiring is removed, (Radio and Speakers) the wiring is very basic. You can redo it by pulling the harness out in tack and going wire by wire with the same gauge. Some of the connectors can be reused and others will have to be replaced. You can still get the schematic online.

Why do you think it has to be redone?

As far as the headlight and front blinkers you'll need the whole setup off of a Standard or go after market to mount everything. If you plan on keeping the saddlebags then your back turn signal lamps will be fine but if they come off you'll have to mount the lights again like a standard or aftermarket.

cruzy

Postby cruzy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:31 pm

Thanks for help santos am i right in thinking that this model would have been naked bike when new it makes sense when i trace the wiring that has been changed very poor job i am afraid.

MJSantos
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Postby MJSantos » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:55 pm

It's very possible. I believe the main harness is almost the same for all three models, standard, interstate, aspencade. Interstate was the less expensive model of the "Fairing/ Saddle Bag" Versions then the Aspy is considered the Top of the Line. It also has an onboard compressor for shock adjustments. Radios were options on the two which could be the AM/FM w intercom. Then the was an AM/FM with CB. But as I said that was all in the fairing. Mine has the radio that was installed new and the wiring was done by so called "Professionals. Looking at it, a grade schooler could have done a better job. If you down load a schematic right here from this forum you can get an idea of what is pretty much the "main". The basic wiring is really nothing more than Lights and Ignition. Sometimes folks will add additional lighting and other goodies and that's when the nightmare's start. Any type of wire could have been used for these. Alot of after market items include some wire in their kits and it's pretty much standard gauge and colors, red green and black. That's fine for installation but when you try to trace it years later and it's tied to these machines the only color that's consistant is the "Green" that would be ground. Black would be Batt negative which could be ground or just return. The Plus voltage or Batt positive will be a color or color/stripe depending on the circuit. If your harness is really that bad (beyond repair) you can remove it intact, remove the outer covering which is no more than electrical tape and replace wire for wire. I've done this and it's time consuming. What I did was build a jig out of a piece of plywood and fastened the harness to it by driving nails at the natural bends and mounting the harness with cable ties. The make a second jig right below it with just the nails at the natural bends. Then start running wires of the same or larger gauge following the same route around the bends. You can buy crimp terminals locally and most of the plugs from places like DigiKey. As you add wires cable tie them or use twisties to hold them in place. With the schematic you can draw a new one as you go showing the new colors. Once you have all of the wires pulled. You can run a continuity check connector to connector. If all is good then you can wrap with electrical tape and there you go.
I learned this method years ago when we had to build wire harnesses for military aircraft applications.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:38 pm

That's how they build the harnesses in the factory, so it's a good way to go. I wish Honda had used larger gauge wire to begin with!

There is a great online store called Vintage Connections that sells all the Japanese connectors used in our bikes, some of the hard-to-find stuff that even Digi-Key doesn't carry. I have used them a few times, and they are very good.

cruzy

Postby cruzy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:49 pm

Hi thanks to everbody for help last week with wiring problem,but once again got another one after tracing wires ect i found a component that is either burnt out or is on its way there is lots of black tar covering the wires and running down the frame have uploaded picture can anyone help cheers.Where the srcrewdriver is pointing is the problem.
Attachments

cbach1981
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Postby cbach1981 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:47 pm

The infamous melting spark unit. When it goes, you will not get spark from the coil it's connected to. Don't know if you can do anything to save them, as far as filling the back with epoxy or something. Sure someone else will know. My local honda shop can get OEM units for about $175 each, but that's a bit much for my wallet. Me personally, I just found a used set at the local salvage yard and replaced them.
    You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:03 pm

When the potting compound in them fails and melts out, they typically still run fine. Most people mix up some epoxy, fill it back up, let it cure, then reinstall, and they continue to work just fine.

cruzy

Postby cruzy » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:56 pm

just wondering what causes the resin to melt and run out ?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:46 pm

Old age and years and years of repeated heat cycles.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”