1980 coil ohms

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
h34race
Motorcycle: 1980 honda GL 1100 I

1980 coil ohms

Postby h34race » Wed May 13, 2015 6:32 pm

I am having issues ohming my coils the mannual says 3 ohm coils other things say .3 ohm youtube guy says 3.0 on the multy meter my coils read .6 and .9 I even tryed a none self ranging meter got the same thing ,tryed to omh out my new NGK sparkplug caps got NO reading at all wires have a reading checked pulse pickup they are ok in range,I ohmed out my CDI boxes they were close to being same reading 1 was 500 less on 1 of the pins don't know if it is bad??Yes the bike runs just miss and drops cyclinders and soumds like it is fawling the plugs while warming upget some firing again when warm go for aride still missing and trying to fire,grab a handfull of throttle and it will pull the front wheel up then back to cruise and it shuts off plugs again,Yes I spent 220.00 on the good carb kit wires are new as well as the plugs carbs work well and did ajust with all plugs firing at the time I just don't know which electric grelin I am chasing any help is most help ful,and the coils are not cracked look good thanks Bill J.

702scottc
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1990 GL1500 Aspencade (sold)
2005 GL1800

Re: 1980 coil ohms

Postby 702scottc » Sat May 16, 2015 8:03 am

How do the spark plugs look? The way you are describing the problem it sounds more like a carburetor issue. If I understand you correctly, once you grab throttle it clears up then loads up at idle? If the float levels on one or 2 carbs is too high it will load those cylinders with fuel and foul the plugs. When you set the float levels, stand the carb assy on end and tilt it slightly to seat the needle valves then measure the floats. It's a bit tedious but the float setting is critical.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”