Rear Brake Problems

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
moneypit
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Rear Brake Problems

Postby moneypit » Fri May 15, 2015 7:40 pm

Ok so I'm out on Moneypit when I notice the rear brake pedal is getting higher and higher every time I stopped. When I got home the rear brake was on to the point I couldn't roll the bike. I opened the bleeder and was able to push the caliper piston back no problem. Pumped the pedal the and the same thing the rear brake wont release. So what do you think do I have a bad rear master cylinder or could it be the proportioning valve ... If it is one or the other is this something that can be purchased from Honda or after market... If any of you have any ideas please let me know .... Thanx..

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Re: Rear Brake Problems

Postby FM-USA » Fri May 15, 2015 8:59 pm

Put you baby over your shoulder and pat until it burps.
:lol: ANYways...
I had the 83 Wing and the same problem. In all basics, if one item is giving you the fits, the other is ready to.
Long story short, I am saving you time and lots of grief. Read this complete, it has cross references.
All at the same time cause you don't want re-contamination.
Disassemble rear, front and master, clean with spray brake cleaner, lines also. Use a clean white rag to catch "X" from the lines and calipers, you'll want to know and curiosity will kill you if you don't.
Get new seals or "IF" your on a budget, clean and check all seals, they might be re-useable, mine were. Piston seal seals on one edge, the other edge might/should be good.
Be sure all the holes are open, blow air back & forth several times. I forgot, there should be a micro hole in the master, it's very important to be open and DO NOT DAMAGE it's size.
Use quality Disc Brake Grease lube on all metal parts that move. I checked profusely on the Net and in brake shops if Brake Grease is or is not compatible with brake fluid if mixed. In micro amounts like thin coating on the cylinder, no problem, in globs yes. (see NOTE below)
Before installing on the bike, run brake fluid in the master and slaves as a pre-lube, it helps to eliminate them pesky micro air bubbles, tho it's not necessary it's just a precaution and aggravation eliminator.
Fluid fill and bleed rear than front (air rises). then repeat until peddle is hard where it's supposed to be.

From experience: 1 or 2 weeks later, bleed again. (remember the micro bubbles?)
ONCE all this is done, including #2 bleeding, you should have a near rock hard peddle. If not and the peddle feels a little squooshy, plan on replacing the rubber brake lines.
NOTE: I have the 1500 now and went through calipers locking up on the out stroke. I ride in the rain so I found the pistons were corroding up causing the lock up. After using wet/dry 400 grit sand paper them shiny clean, I got new piston seals and pushed the piston all the way in. Then brake greased the cylinder wall. piston and both sides of the dust seal. ODD, the 1500 has no outer dust cover.
IF I missed anything, someone post it please.
BEST of LUCK! ;)
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Sat May 16, 2015 6:10 am

...or just clean the return port on the rear master. :P

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sat May 16, 2015 7:03 am

spiralout wrote:...or just clean the return port on the rear master. :P

That be too easy.
Got'a make him work. ;)
His moneypit needs lov'n, hands on lov'n. :twisted:
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

moneypit
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Postby moneypit » Sun May 17, 2015 6:33 am

spiralout..... You were spot on. I didn't have a rebuild kit so I cleaned the return port. It was plugged. I put it back on the Moneypit and the brakes are working fine. I will order a kit and rebuild it but for now were good . Once again thank you guys for your help ...

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Sun May 17, 2015 7:33 am

Good deal. Moneypit got a little hand's on loving without having to spend any cash this time.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”