Help with Cam and Timing Belts

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Help with Cam and Timing Belts

Postby Hoosier Jack » Sat May 16, 2015 1:06 pm

It's a long story but I have changed the left head on my 82 1100. It has been installed, new head gasket and torqued down, but I am finding myself a little over my head. Of course the belts are off but I need to place the cam in the right place, torque it down and then have the timing pulley, and belts on right. I have new Honda belts. I am scared to death that I am going to do this wrong and trash my motor.

The service manual does not give me a lot of help and I haven't been able to find a good video on this. Any help will be appreciated.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Help with Cam and Timing Belts

Postby virgilmobile » Sat May 16, 2015 1:28 pm

Look at the how to section.All the wings are about the same.
Only point I'll make.Pop the cap off so you can see the timing marks.Pop off the rear cap so you can use a wrench to turn over the engine by hand.
Never crank the engine before it's been turned over by hand at least 3 full times and the cam marks have been verified.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Sat May 16, 2015 2:36 pm

One other note that may help.If you turn the crankshaft 90* from top dead center,you may then turn the cams as much as you like.This moves all the pistons half way down allowing any valve to be open.
If either the cam or crank comes to a
Abrupt stop,do not force it.A piston may be in contact with a valve.
Take your time,line up all the marks,hand turn it (spark plugs out),recheck it,check the belt tention,check it two more times by turning the crankshaft by hand 2 revolutions each time.

Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

74 BMW R90/6

Postby Overdog » Sat May 16, 2015 8:44 pm

virgilmobile wrote:One other note that may help.If you turn the crankshaft 90* from top dead center,you may then turn the cams as much as you like.This moves all the pistons half way down allowing any valve to be open.
If either the cam or crank comes to a
Abrupt stop,do not force it.A piston may be in contact with a valve.
Take your time,line up all the marks,hand turn it (spark plugs out),recheck it,check the belt tention,check it two more times by turning the crankshaft by hand 2 revolutions each time.

I just installed a head on my 83....I should have done it like Virgil suggested. I installed the cam so it wasn't contacting any rockers (had them backed all the way off). As I rotated the cam by hand to get the marks to line up it stopped...I realized that piston #2 was at TDC and the valve was contacting the piston. I rotated the engine backward a tiny bit and the cam came right around to the mark. You really shouldn't turn the engine backward...if the alternator bolt comes loose yer kinda screwed. I had all valves on both sides backed off and the plugs out so it moved easily and I got away with it. Looking back, moving it forward is the thing to do....as long as you bring it back to T1 you can align the marks on the pulley and case and you're good....

urbanmadness
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100A Aspencade *sold
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby urbanmadness » Mon May 18, 2015 12:03 pm

what works best for me, is before I pull the engine apart, be it a head, timming belt or what ever, always, TDC the engine first, then don't move the crank. When you put the heads back on, hold the cam sprocket at roughly where the timing mark is (the right bank is more of a pain) just make sure it's within about 15-20 degrees of where it should be then you can install the head or cam without much worry.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”