Starter issue??

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Wingman70
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda Goldwing GL1100 Interstate

Starter issue??

Postby Wingman70 » Sun May 24, 2015 9:29 am

Hello fellow Goldwingers,
I have a '82 Goldwing GL1100I. I am trying to isolate an issue and I think i have it narrowed down but want to make sure. The issue is that when I hit the start button, I get a click from the relay. I measured the voltage before and after the dog bone fuse and get a reading of 12.65 on each side. When I have someone press the start button, I press the voltmeter against the negative of the battery and the other starter cable coming from the relay, I get the same reading. I have been working on this bike since last fall going over everything from final drive shaft, brake pads, new tires, used main wire harness(and yes, I checked continuity along all 34 connections when I installed it). I have been reading in here and some think it may be a flat spot on the starter. I had it running the other day while in the driveway.
Any ideas? Suggestions/ accurate tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Re: Starter issue??

Postby tom84std » Sun May 24, 2015 11:59 am

One way to see if that solenoid is making a positive connection across it's power terminals would be to use a test lamp. A lamp available from any auto supply with pointed probe, plastic handle and alligator clip/wire.(the Harbor Freight one is actually pretty good)
On the big solenoid wire connected to the battery+ terminal of the solenoid, connect the test lamp alligator clip.
On the other solenoid terminal which connects to the starter's input power lug, press the probe tip down against that SOLENOID lug.
The lamp should glow. It's getting it's ground through the starter.
Reach over or have someone help and hit the start button (keyswitch on, bike in neutral ready to start).
Solenoid should click. You're on the two solenoid lugs. While the solenoid is engaged, there should be no illumination from the test lamp's bulb. Not even a glow.
Any illumination at all indicates a bad solenoid.
If the lamp illuminates with solenoid disengaged, but goes completely off while start button is pressed, it's a 97% safe bet the solenoid is good.
Move the alligator clip to the starter side of the solenoid. Press the probe tip to the starter's input lug. Have someone hit the start button being careful not to ground the probe tip. The test lamp should never glow. If it does, the cable has broken down.
It's a very old starter. Kits are available, ebay or websearch should find you one. It's possible but pretty doubtful the commutator's segments are beyond repair. 600-800 grit abrasive (I like wet-or-dry) wrapped around the commutator and worked back-and-forth like operating the throttle usually cleans them up nicely. Finish with 1200 grit, rinse with evaporating solvent and cotton rag.

Any wire connected between power and ground should never light up a test lamp connected between the lugs. If it does, there is internal resistance inside the wire or it's terminal connections. Something inside the wire has failed.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Sun May 24, 2015 1:58 pm

Please Dont forget the possibility of a hydrolocked engine.
Been there done that.
Spent half a day rebuilding the starter and going over every electrical connection just to find that one cylinder had raw fuel in it.
Kill the ignition (kill switch) remove all 4 plugs....bump the starter..
If it's hydrolocked,gas will be ejected some 20 feet out of the side of the engine...About a 45° angle...right up the wall of the shop...
Does this sound like it's happened before :oops:

tom84std
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Sun May 24, 2015 2:31 pm

virgilmobile wrote:Please Dont forget the possibility of a hydrolocked engine.
Been there done that.
Spent half a day rebuilding the starter and going over every electrical connection just to find that one cylinder had raw fuel in it.
Kill the ignition (kill switch) remove all 4 plugs....bump the starter..
If it's hydrolocked,gas will be ejected some 20 feet out of the side of the engine...About a 45° angle...right up the wall of the shop...
Does this sound like it's happened before :oops:

I've done the exact same thing. Gasoline all over the bike and the shop wall. Spark plug caps laying right there on top of the engine. Strong possibility of a stray spark. I've thought about that from time to time. Can't remember if I really rotated the handlebar kill switch or not. Must have. Had it sparked I promise I would have known, and would remember.

triwing
Motorcycle: 84 gl 1200,87int,91asp

Postby triwing » Sun May 24, 2015 8:07 pm

Good guess, or just lucky?

Wingman70
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda Goldwing GL1100 Interstate

Postby Wingman70 » Sun May 24, 2015 9:38 pm

Isolated the issue, starter issue. I tapped the starter with a hammer as someone else hit the starter button and after a few tries it finally turned over and began to run. Does this point to signs of a "flat" spot on the starter. Would the starter need to be removed and rebuilt? Thanks for the advice previously given.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sun May 24, 2015 11:52 pm

It could be a corroded spot on the starter armature, but personally I suspect the brushes are worn out, and the remains are cocking sideways in the holders (a hammer tap could free them briefly). I'd pick up a set of brushes. They're a breeze to install once the starter's out, and the armature can be cleaned up at the same time.

BTW, this happened to me on the GL1100 I used to own, so this is more than just a guess!

tom84std
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Mon May 25, 2015 8:13 am

This is the most complete kit for about the right price:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STARTER-REBUILD ... 91&vxp=mtr

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”