blown headgaskets??

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
h34race
Motorcycle: 1980 honda GL 1100 I

blown headgaskets??

Postby h34race » Wed May 27, 2015 2:38 pm

hello all I am still chasing issues with my 80 wing I can ajust #2 #4 no issues #1 #3 have issues plugs are firing look like they should white with orange tint black on inner edge all looks well just runs on two cyclinders is all can turn mixture screws off on 1-3 still runs smooth???just sounds like deadholes doesn't smoke get hot or anything,makes real nise hot air out both pipes both headers get hot both sides, get zapped all sparkplug leads throwes a spark 2 inchs motor reactes when plugwire is pulled,guess I need to compresion test next Rite???

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Re: blown headgaskets??

Postby f1xrupr » Thu May 28, 2015 8:30 am

If you're not overheating, loose ing coolant, or mixing fluids, I don't think it's head gasket. Might try adjusting valves, then setting all mixture screws the same (three turns out on my 80 worked good although some info says different), and idle it up to about 1100 rpm....and see how that feels. A smooth idle on a old (35 years?) wing might be challenging at the best. I think I would leave a compression check to vary last option, as that might be discouraging, and cause you to take apart a bike with a fewmore thousand miles left in it (booooooy...I bet I hear about that comment).....Oh yeah....carb sinc.....it can not be guessed, and is critical for smooth idle.
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

sportsfreaked
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1100I
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition gl1200

Re: blown headgaskets??

Postby sportsfreaked » Thu May 28, 2015 9:13 pm

I would not think head gasket either. You can do a compression test just don't be shocked if you are in the 110's or something like that. If you do one as long as you are in 15% of each other then you are good. The carbs would be the first thing to go thru from top to bottom including as mentioned making sure they are in sync.
Thanks to all who answer and help. It is greatly appreciated!
Ed

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”