OIL LEAK AT SHIFT LEVER SHAFT

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
NUTCKERGOLDWING
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I

OIL LEAK AT SHIFT LEVER SHAFT

Postby NUTCKERGOLDWING » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:52 am

I HAVE DEVELOPED AN OIL LEAK AT THE SHAFT THE SHIFT LEVER ATTACHES TO AND IT'S GETTING BAD ENOUGH TO DEMAND ATTENTION, ARE THERE ANY TIPS ON CHANGING THE SEAL AND IS THE SEAL SOMETHING I COULD GET AT THE LOCAL BEARING AND SEAL STORE OR IS IT A HONDA ONLY ITEM ?
ALSO I NOTICE WHEN RIDING AT SPEEDS ABOVE SAY 65MPH THE ENGINE SEEMS NOISY, KIND OF LIKE VALVE LIFTER CLATTER IN AN AUTOMOTIVE ENGINE. IT RUNS GREAT AND USES VERY LITTLE OIL, I ADJUSTED THE VALVES WHICH NEEDED VERY LITTLE ADJUSTMENT. ARE THESE ENGINES A LITTLE NOISY AT HIGHER RPMS ? IT HAS 94,000 MILES ON IT NOW, STARTS GOOD, GOOD POWER, EXCELLENT FUEL MILEAGE (40MPG), I RIDE EVERY CHANCE I GET , 3000 MILES THIS YEAR SO FAR WHICH IS A LOT FOR ALASKA SHORT SUMMERS. IF I PULL CLUTCH IN AND COAST, ALL IS QUITE, IT IS VERY QUITE AT SAY 55MPH, ONLY ABOVE 4000 RPM DO I HEAR THE NOISE AND MAYBE I AM JUST PARANOID. THANKS BILL IN ALASKA

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: OIL LEAK AT SHIFT LEVER SHAFT

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:31 am

The shift shaft seal is very easy to change. First remove the shifter from the shifter shaft. Then pry out the old seal with a thin screwdriver - this is easier to do than it sounds.

Before installing the new seal (it should be an OEM seal - aftermarkets don't seem to fit as well), wrap some masking tape around the splined end on the shaft, to protect the new seal. Also coat the inside of the new seal with oil, to help it slide into place.

Push the new seal on and into place as well as you can with your fingers. Then use a deep 3/4" socket with a rubber mallet to gently push it the rest of the way into place.

Remove the masking tape, replace the shifter, and you're done! Shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes.

My engine makes very little noise at higher RPM - in fact, I would say it runs smoother the higher the engine speed.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”