Rear Brakes Seized

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
ankgrays
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 interstate

Rear Brakes Seized

Postby ankgrays » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:49 am

Going try try to make this short...

Took the 81 GWI for about a 20 mile ride yesterday. Notices that it was getting "sluggish" off the line.

When I got home, I could hardly push 2-3 yards to its parking spot in the garage. Heard a slight "grinding" in the back end.

Got it up on the center stand tried to spin the back wheel...no go.

Brake disk was so hot it burned my fingers and I was like :evil:

Time to rebuild the calipers and or the master cylinder?

ETA: This morning I tried spinning the wheel...it moved but with a grinding sound.

I don't tolerate voluntary stupidity very well, and it seems to be rampant now-a-days.

"One of the problems about quotes from the internet, is that one cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Rear Brakes Seized

Postby RBGERSON » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:04 am

check the return port in the master maybe be plugged, replace the pads they are probably burn now, then rebuild the caliper if things still aren't working..or do that anyway. Grinding sound..not good check the disc if grooved should be replaced
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:18 pm

ankgrays

Postby ankgrays » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:42 pm

OK...I took a deep breath and started tearing her down.

I'm going to replace the rear hose with new stainless braided and get a rear caliper rebuild kit. Then maybe a master cylinder kit.

Got the hose and the caliper off, looked at the "how to" rebuild a rear caliper post and found it was for the 82 or 83, don't remember which. The "how to" shows 2 pistons.

My 81 has one piston. Is this original to the 81, or has there been a caliper replacement done sometime in the past? Mine says "NIPPON" on it and the picture in the "how to" says "HONDA".

Also...I was dumb and took off the hose BEFORE I removed the caliper. I see rust and gunk all over what I can see, so I imagine its all over the part of the piston I can't see... but I cant get the piston out. :x

Now what? Enlighten me, oh wise ones.
I don't tolerate voluntary stupidity very well, and it seems to be rampant now-a-days.

"One of the problems about quotes from the internet, is that one cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:35 am

The 81 had a single piston rear caliper.

You have a few options to get the piston out:

- Reattach the brake line and pump it out with the brake pedal
- Screw a bolt into the brake line fitting to seal it, then attach an air compressor in place of the bleed fitting and use air pressure
- Screw a bolt into the brake line fitting to seal it, then attach a grease gun to the bleed nipple, open the bleed nipple and pump it out with grease

If you use the grease gun method, be sure to clean out all remnants of grease from the caliper afterwards!

ankgrays

Postby ankgrays » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:17 pm

OK...I used the compressed air trick and that worked in getting the piston out.

Got new line, washers and bolts ordered.

The inside of the caliper was a MESS!! Especially where the piston sits. I started to clean it up, but I remembered I ran out of brake cleaner last winter, using it on an old gun that was about the same kind of mess the calipers are. To the parts store tomorrow.

Haven't even started on the rebuild kit or the master cylinder yet.

BOY OH BOY....this is gonna be FUN!! :?

ankgrays

Postby ankgrays » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:35 pm

OK...I got a box of goodies from the local MC shop, and am ready to start the "re-build" this weekend.

I know...I know...I should be riding on the weekends, but it's supposed to rain anyway.

I have a couple of questions before I start.

I can't get the bleeder nut out...won't budge. I tried PB Blaster, and even tried heating it up some. How much heat is too much,

and for how long? Or what else can I try to get it loose and/or out?

Also...The new stainless braided hoses have a "screw into the hose" connection with the banjos...not crimped on like the old ones.

Is this standard brake line building now? Would some teflon tape on the threads work as good as I think it would?

READY.....GO!!

ankgrays

Postby ankgrays » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:25 pm

OK...disregard all of the above questions, EXCEPT the question about the teflon tape.

Google is my friend.

Would teflon, or plumbers tape, be a good idea for my new brake lines?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:46 am

ankgrays wrote:OK...disregard all of the above questions, EXCEPT the question about the teflon tape.

Google is my friend.

Would teflon, or plumbers tape, be a good idea for my new brake lines?

Teflon tape is not going to help your brake lines at all - and at worst, little bits of it sheared off during installation could get caught in the tiny brake fluid ports and clog them up.

The threads are not intended to be sealed on your brake lines, which is what teflon tape is meant to do - make threads sealed. Instead, the seal is created by the copper crush washer, in between the head of the banjo bolt and the brake line fitting, and between the brake line fitting and the caliper.

So it's not needed, nor desired.

ankgrays

Postby ankgrays » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:30 am

OK...Gotcha.

I now have all the parts except the new brake bleed screw (bolt?) that I mangled trying to get it loose.

I think the PO used locktite...

...Or maybe I'm just a big girlie-man with no upper body strength! :lol:

Thanks again!

timdiver64
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100a

Postby timdiver64 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:18 am

If there is locktite on the bleed screw it breaks
Down at 225 deg, f. It will not go fluid but will soften to a paste consistancy. I used to sell the stuff. Can be done with a propane torch. Be ready for new seal kit.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”