Cramped legs

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Beat up nagger
Motorcycle: 81 Honda goldwing gl1100

Cramped legs

Postby Beat up nagger » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:25 am

Ok last question for now. I'm 6 ft talk. 325 lbs. I need to find a way of either putting forward controls. Or even if I can get controls to mount to highway pegs. Any ideas or suggestions. I've only found one set and they are over 400 without pegs.

Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Re: Cramped legs

Postby roadwanderer2 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:37 am

ok, here's an idea for ya, i did this to one of my bikes....go to a metal fabricating company, have them take a 2" rebar or better yet, a stainless steel bar and measure the width of the front your frame to where you want your legs to rest at, and let them cut it to length and weld it to the front of your frame as long as your radiator isn't in the way, or have them weld 2 pieces, one on each side of your front frame with a brace bracket from the bar or bars to the frame so they don't bend down or outward. you'll have to make 2 round cut holes in your lower fairing so the bar can go thru it, have the ends drilled about 3 to 4" deep and tapped to a 3/8 16th thread and get a pair of floorboards or foot pegs and bolt them,(using stainless steel bolts, flat and lock washers), to the ends of the bar or bars on each side. i used passenger floorboards from an 84 GL1200 and fitted them into the ends of my custom made highway bar.

i did this to my 81 Honda GL500i silverwing interstate, and believe me, riding down to Florida and back, (2,000 miles), it definitely made a big difference in being able to stretch my legs out especially on long rides. it might cost ya around $200 bucks, but it'll be worth it in the long run for ya.

let me know if this works for ya.

Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Cramped legs

Postby RBGERSON » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:19 pm

doing the brake is fairly easy..take an OEM brake arm/pedal cut off the end at the bend weld on a solid round bar cut to lenght and bent to reach up just in front of your highway pegs adjust the bend so tilting your foot w/o moving it off the peg works it..

Now the shifter side is way more complicated with joints, arms and creative can be done. i have seen one someplace on one of the boards try the custom forum on NWG.

Here's a pic of a start not for forward foot but a suicide shifter but if you take the basic design twist the bottom of the "U" weld a cut off shifter arm to it..then you can bend the round bar to end up in front of you highway peg..shifting up easy down not so you need to fab a heel toe plate to the round bar??? Or go look at an aftermarket one and build one to to be cheaper than buying it. If you have access to a machine shop or a friend with one. 8-)

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”