Bubble Trouble....!

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Bubble Trouble....!

Postby f1xrupr » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:44 am

I hope this is in the right category...after replacing my crankshaft bearings, along with some other stuff, I wanted to monitor the oil pressure closely, so, I installed a oil pressure gauge. I checked my oil pressure shortly after my rebuild, then, after a few thousand miles, checked it again to compare readings. I had made some valve adjustments, repaired a left rear cam seal leak, and, I might have changed the oil filter (not sure-I changed oil and filter a bunch of times-sometimes just the filter)....at any rate, the oil was low on the sight glass (gl1100), and I knew it-but, that's ok....right?
....So, one day, with the engine hot, I was holding the rpms (bike stopped and level-me sitting on it) around 3500-just listening to the engine,....and I heard a slight pulsating noise...shhh-shhh-shhh-shhh-shhh.....and I'm like, what's that!!!??
I looked down at my oil pressure gauge, and, my pressure was fluxuating between 60 and 70 (~) psi, in unison with the noise!!! Evidently, the oil pump was sucking some air (maybe kinda like a sink drain will when there's not much water left), and, my oil light never blinked, because after all, it still had min. 60 (~) psi! But, it had to have been sending bubbles through the oil system!!....now, you might be thinking...oh-your screen is stopped up, or, some other problem...dirty engine or something. I cleaned that engine well as I went through it, and inspected it, and reassembled it carefully. In my honest opinion, the oil add mark at the window is TOO LOW!
I've decided to run it high on the window-I also installed a Canadian screw-on oil filter adapter, and am running a wix oil filter with a anti-backflow valve, which may give me a more accurate oil level reading.
That little incident didn't seem to hurt anything, and I'm thankful for that!
Edit.....oh yeah...adding more oil did make it stop doing that!

My exercise bike is a goldwing.

sportsfreaked
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1100I
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition gl1200

Re: Bubble Trouble....!

Postby sportsfreaked » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:43 pm

Good Information. That sight glass was not one of Honda's finest ideas.
Thanks to all who answer and help. It is greatly appreciated!
Ed

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:34 am

Not trying to be controversial about your sight glass determination however you might consider that there are literally thousands of 1000s and 1100s that have no issues with oil pressure with the oil set at the proper level. Nor are there any issues with "low pressure" when the oil level is even as much as a quart low. You might want to keep an eye on this problem. I'm thinking there are other issues involved here.

Tom
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Postby f1xrupr » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:27 am

Tom, thank you for your comment.
The 1000s of other bikes do not have a oil gauge, so, there is no way to know that this is happening. I also have a oil pressure safety switch to stop fuel delivery (electric fuel pump), and that switch is activated at 6-8 (~) psi....but before I hooked it to the fuel system, I had it hooked to the ignition system to prevent " dry starting", and noticed that, the oil light would go off "before" the engine would start, indicating that, the oil light sending unit (switch) activates at "less than" 6-8 (~) psi....so, you could be driving down the highway with 5 (~) psi oil pressure, and not know it, because the lights not on (I think spec is like 72 psi @ 4000 rpm hot).
There is a YouTube of a goldwing on the side kick, and, the rods start knocking at 3000 rpm....bingo!...that's what I'm talking about! He wouldn't be doing that if he thought his oil was low!!!.....and, that's the point I'm trying to make.

FYI...in the winter, I can pump 60psi oil pressure (cold), and, 40 psi in the summer (cold),...with the starter ( engine not running). I'm satisfied I have no other problems, but thanks for your concern.

Edit...I did notice a bad design in the oil "pick-up" assembly....on the 1100, where the pick, up screen attaches to the pick-up tube, there is no seal of any kind, it's a metal to metal fit-and that a little loose. That being much higher than the screen itself, if exposed above the oil level (oil level drops more at higher revs), "would suck air and cavatate"! During cavitation, oil pressure and volume, would absolutely be decreased, and that's probably what's happening.

My exercise bike is a goldwing.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”