Brake Line Leaking and Other Stuff

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
lslevine39
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Brake Line Leaking and Other Stuff

Postby lslevine39 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:44 pm

Hi Everyone,
This is my first time posting. I am virtually finished a seven month refurb on an 1983 GL1100. So close, but thwarted by brake fluid leaking at the front splitter. It's a double join where one line comes in from the master and another line goes to the right-front caliper. The master, lines (stainless), and banjo bolts are all new, with new copper crush washers, and both front calipers have been rebuilt.

The oil bolt is as tight as it will go. Any tighter and I'll break it off. This is driving me nuts. If I have to, I'll run the line that goes from the splitter to the right caliper from caliper to caliper.
If this wasn't enough, the rear break goes down, but does not come up on its own. The pivot has been cleaned and greased, and the spring is ok. It seems that the piston in the master cylinder is sticking. The rear master and caliper have been rebuilt as well, with same new stainless lines and banjo bolts.
Please help. I want to be riding, not working on this thing any longer. The weather is too good to be in the garage. :roll:

Rob H
Motorcycle: 2000 1500 SE, XR 650, CBR 600, Harley FB, KLR 650, CBX 750 Cafe Racer, Z1000 Eddie Lawson.

Re: Brake Line Leaking and Other Stuff

Postby Rob H » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:02 pm

I had a similar problem with my front brake splitter on my 750. Take it apart again and clean all the mating surfaces and check that you have not marked any of the sealing surfaces while you have been working there. My left caliper runs off the right side of the splitter and my right caliper off the left side, don't ask me why but that was the way I sorted the leak.

Face the crush washers on a flat surface with some water paper.

Does the rear master cylinder work/return when it is off the bike, meaning if it is in your hand and you push in the piston does it return to the original position?

lslevine39

Postby lslevine39 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:13 pm

Thanks for the speedy reply.
It is not off the bike yet, as I have just bled the brakes and discovered my new problems. I'll have to drain the lines and remove the rear master to check (on Friday). I'll try to locate some more copper crush washers tomorrow before I proceed. Also, as far as facing the washers, which side should be where? The flat side facing outside or inside (toward the banjo bolt)? Will facing take care of the one in the middle, as that one seems to be where the leak is coming from on the front?
Thanks, Larry

Rob H
Motorcycle: 2000 1500 SE, XR 650, CBR 600, Harley FB, KLR 650, CBX 750 Cafe Racer, Z1000 Eddie Lawson.

Postby Rob H » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:18 pm

The washers should have the same face on both sides, so effectively they are normal washers just made of copper. Journey have replaced the originals I assume and the new washers that you have installed are leaking if I understand correctly?

Rob H

Postby Rob H » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:22 pm

You have replace the original washers that should read not journey........

lslevine39

Postby lslevine39 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:26 pm

I purchased them from Dime City Cycles, along with all the new equipment. But the washers are rounded on one side and flat on the other. I will probably have to get new washers for the whole system...ones that are flat.

Rob H

Postby Rob H » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:37 pm

The leak is from where the 2 banjos join? If so swap the pipes around and try again, so the inner pipe put on the outside and vice versa.

lslevine39

Postby lslevine39 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:53 am

I'll give that a try.

lslevine39

Postby lslevine39 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:46 pm

Got the front brake lines tight with new washers. No leaks. Rear brake master cylinder, however, was leaking badly, even after a rebuild. Here's my problem. I got the thing off and disassembled it, and it was leaking at the bottom. Some background first: The bike I have is a 1983 GL1100 Interstate. I know this bike is supposed to have linked brakes, but the previous owner (or one before him) have obviously delinked them, going for a more standard setup. I have no problem with this, as I am used to this kind of setup. The problem is that whomever transferred them to a more standard setup changed the master cylinder completely. The I have must be from an earlier model, as it's bore measures 14mm, not 16mm. I originally ordered a rebuild kit from Partzilla (OEM), and most of the kit worked, except for the piston, which of course did not fit. I was forced to res-use the rubber collar that goes around the piston, as it seemed ok, with little wear visible. If I have to rebuild it gain using another kit, I will, but I do not know which kit to purchase, as I cannot identify which year bike this master came from. All I know is that it is a 14mm. I am open to using a more modern master cylinder that can be purposed for this bike, but any internet search results don't match up to the question. If anyone has had any success with an aftermarket brand rear master, I would like to know which one. Otherwise, I am looking to find out which one I have.
Thanks in advance.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”