Valve cover leak that will not go away

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
robertdawber
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Valve cover leak that will not go away

Postby robertdawber » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:21 pm

I am hopeful that someone may have experienced this and solved the issue. This is the right side:

I replaced the gasket and have new bolt plugs/washers. I tightened them all to 8ft pounds and I have a leak--still.
The new gasket and bolt washers are because I had a leak after I placed the valve covers back on (clutch work over the winter so I had the engine out and took advantage to other work)
Any thoughts? I appreciate the help.
Bob

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Valve cover leak that will not go away

Postby dingdong » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:12 am

First a question. Are the gaskets from Honda. Aftermarket gaskets are known for not sealing correctly. I have a set on my 1000 that have leaked from day one. That said you could also have a leaking cam shaft seal at one end of the head instead of the valve cover seal.

Tom
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

robertdawber
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Postby robertdawber » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:38 am

dingdong wrote:First a question. Are the gaskets from Honda. Aftermarket gaskets are known for not sealing correctly. I have a set on my 1000 that have leaked from day one. That said you could also have a leaking cam shaft seal at one end of the head instead of the valve cover seal.

Tom

They are Honda.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:57 am

Not having seen the condition of the sealing area(s) of your engine / cover it is hard to know what to offer in the way of a solution.

I'd probably pull the cover and meticulously inspect the entire length of the surfaces it is sealing for defects. Should you find and grooves or defective areas in the metal, you can clean them up with sand paper or a file, carefully of course. If there are no imperfections to clean up, you can try completely degreasing the new gasket and sealing surfaces with alcohol, and then apply a VERY thin coat of high temperature RTV to the gasket and sealing areas. Let the parts get slightly tacky and then assemble them as you did originally... be absolutely sure not to over-do the RTV as you don't want it to extrude into the engine... let it cure and your oil leaks should be a thing of the past.

When replacing valve cover gaskets on old automotive engines, I always use a LITTLE of the stuff and have yet to have the covers leak after a thorough cleaning and a very light coat of RTV... High Temperature (kind of coppery looking) is the stuff I've always used with good results..

Of course, someone won't like my suggestion :-)

I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”