82 GL 1100A Darkside Goodyear tire

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Sscccoootttt
Motorcycle: GL 1100 A

82 GL 1100A Darkside Goodyear tire

Postby Sscccoootttt » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:36 pm

I have looked into a car tire for my motorcycle several times, in the past only found run flat 50 mph spare with crappy lug pattern

Recently found this https://www.universaltire.com/185vr16-a ... kwall.html

That lead to this https://www.universaltire.com/175r16-au ... black.html

That got me spending hours with this https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?ti ... -175-60r16

That has me ready to order this http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... 01000527:s

Hours of looking into stuff lead me to an all season 60,000 mile Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max 175/60R16 that sells for $132

My 1982 Goldwing is now running an Avon and I did not like it from day 1

I have a 1980 front fork and wheel with 82 breaks set up I changed to, it is polished with a new tire and progressive springs, I took the rear air shocks off and run an aftermarket 1979 shock that is taller so the shorter tire should not be a problem at all with the kick stand. My motorcycle ride is stiff and I feel the road on one hand and on the other I can ride over rail tracks at speed and hardly notice it, I no longer slow down for the big bumps but I feel all of the little ones

I called the local tire store and the Goodyear would have to be ordered, I can not go to the store with a swing arm and rim in hand and be 100% it will fit like I would like to do

I get about 5000 miles out of a Metzler 880 the tire I normally run but I am going to a car tire just looking for feedback and looking forward to a 60,000 mile rear tire

Please tell me if there is a better car tire out there that will fit my 1982 GL 1100 A

Thanks

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 82 GL 1100A Darkside Goodyear tire

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:41 pm

As far as I know, nobody has ever found a car tire that actually fits the GL1100 rear tire. The width between the swingarm is the limiting factor.

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:53 pm

I am no expert on tire wear on a metzler tire, but if you only get 5000 miles on the tire, I would question your bikes set up or your driving habits. If you are buring rubber for a block each time, no tire will last very long. There is something very wrong?

Sscccoootttt

Postby Sscccoootttt » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:45 pm

The 1982 will run https://www.universaltire.com/185vr16-a ... kwall.html this tire, there is a photo on another site that popped up when I was looking into the darkside for GL

I looked into several vintage tires and there is an information gap in the way they describe the size 185VR16 has left out a number value but the bottom line 185 fits in vintage size

I started with 140/90/16 motorcycle and compared the fit value to automotive tires and the best match I could find in an all weather full speed tire automotive size was the 175/60R16 that is not as wide as the 185 vintage, it should fit

Run flat tires are 80 mph tires that state 50 mph for liability and the lug pattern questionable

Vintage tires are rated for higher speed but the lug pattern and the over all cost keep me away, the vintage taxi tire is rated for 70 mph and it has a better looking pattern but the missing number value leaves a good bit in the air as far as actual size

I have run Dunlop, Metzler and now Avon and realize that stated size and actual size varies greatly by manufacture

My riding habits and mileage, I am on my 4th or 5th speedometer - they do not hold up when the needle stops just over 80 mph. I ride in the sweet spot for me with what I keep in the bike on the interstate seems to be 86 miles per hour, posted limit 70 miles per hour

The Avon dropped the sweet spot and put in a wiggle or a waggle depending on how you look at things. I had no problem with the Metzler and not long after putting on the Avon I had a front wheel bearing start making noise and the fork seals had been leaking so I just swapped parts off the 1980 knowing the fork tube was shorter but the 1980 rim and tire where taller new and polished. Did it ride different you bet, I had no idea the last owner of the 1980 had put progressive springs in and at first I did not like it at all but I got to like it

The spongy air cushion ride is long off my motorcycle and for good

Do I ride the motorcycle like it is a rocket, for the most part no I have an old 1000cc Ironhead for making noise and the way it falls apart it keeps me out of trouble for the most part. I can ride the Ironhead about 25 miles then I have to get off for one or two cold beverages and allow the blood to flow back into my genitals. I keep that rear Ironhead tire at 15 to 20 psi and the front at 25psi if you would like to understand how I keep my sportster. The Wing 40 psi front and back but if I go flat the back will be maybe 25 and I have not made a decision about a tube because I have yet to see the tire

By the way at 86 miles per hour on the interstate and "stuff" passes me like I am standing still

Sscccoootttt

Postby Sscccoootttt » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:57 am

Tire wear front tire and back tire on my bicycle

I rode the bicycle the same way every time and the set up is factory without a flaw

If you do not understand the wear difference I will not try to explain weight, movement, speed or just simple physics because you can see the difference in the wear of the photographs

Is a car tire safe on a motorcycle ? I remember when motorcycle tires where flat and lasted longer, now brand new motorcycle tires look 1/2 wore out when you buy them and have no wear bars so they ride to the belt without much warning. My daredevil days long in the wind understanding the risk and looking to step forward in a positive money saving way may be to progressive for some but after the trial and error there is almost always a positive

People that ride motorcycles, people that wash motorcycles, people that wash their motorcycles by riding in the rain, people that have a motorcycle they talk about the wife washes and they take the motorcycle by trailer on trips
Attachments

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:56 am

Good morning Scott, I can relate to the 80-85 mph as the sweet spot on the interstate, my comfort zone also. As for the tires premature wear out, my 1500 gets in the area of 20,000 to 25,000 on a set. Always have used Dunlap E-3. With dealing with tires on large trucks for over 30 years, the biggest reason for premature wear out is LOW TIRE PRESSURE. Low pressure creates excessive heat due to the flexing of the casing, heat is a tires worst enemy. I Keep my tires 3 lbs below max mfg psi. It is your scoot so you are entitled to run your psi as you wish. I am only offering knowledge from personal experience and studies done by tire mfg and other research originations. :D :D

Sscccoootttt

Postby Sscccoootttt » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:40 am

Looks like I overlooked the offset, the overall is there but with a drive shaft the swing arm has the tire offset more than a little to one side

Now I'm thinking about altering the swing arm and wondering if there is enough room. Sure would be nice to find a swing arm and rim that would run a regular car tire on the 1982 GL 1100

I'm gonna study this a bit before I buy the tire. Looks like the simple rose bud and a big pair of pliers would not do, maybe cut one side open and not have enough room to close the hole with the shaft in the way ? Would the tire hit the shaft with the offset without shimming the gear ? I do not want to alter more than I have to but I think I will get some cut off wheels before I buy the tire, good thing I have an extra swing arm to butcher

I sure would like to look at that tire without spending money

140/90/16 tread width 5.51"
175/60-16 tread width 5.7" but it is a radial and probably has a natural bulge

I call the Ironhead my 60 mph vibrator and can honestly say I have owned better riding dirt bikes. I must wear padded fingerless gloves to limit vibration in my hands and filling the tires or running under the tire manufacture recommended psi is even in the HD manual at 25 psi when the tire calls for 41.

40 psi in the rear of the Sportster is like a hard tail punishment. My guess would be all of the dead weight the goldwing has to bear and the nature of the Metzler limits miles ? Had a guy tell me not to expect much more than 4000 to 4500 out of the Avon it must be real soft but it just rides bad with a waggle over 60 - 70 mph and again I have to say it is weight and with the Avon the tread pattern = the waggle

I paid $79 dollars for the bicycle at Wally World and did not look over the manual for weight limitations, I did alter the set up by replacing the seat, I did not care for the factory butt plug
Attachments

dnehasert
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 with Watsonian sidecar

Postby dnehasert » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:57 pm

Try a Dunlop E3, MU90-16 on your '82. I drive a sidecar rig and get 11-12000 miles on it. You should get much more on 2 wheels. Also keep around 40 psi in it. Doug

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:09 am

I spent a little time looking into this too. I found one person that apparently figured out how to run a car tire on a GL1200, and none that had done it on an 1100...

I never got more than 5,000 miles out of a rear tire in my life, until I ran a Dunlop E3 on the rear of my 1200... which I ran for 17,000+ miles.ched to a Kenda Kruz 673 (both front and rear) and I'm over 6,000 miles on the set and still running. I couldn't buy them (they don't sell the size) for my 1981 GL1100. I bought a set of Bridgestone S11 Spitfires (putting them on this weekend) for it.

The problem I see with the 1100 tire (rear) is that it is far to small to carry the load of a heavy motorcycle and rider for long distance without wearing out. I don't know the size of your model year rear tire, but an Elite 3, or Kenda Kruz may give you better mileage without having to modify your swingarm.

For those who don't ride in rural areas, tire life may be extended due to NOT riding on what "we" call "tar and gravel" roads... I'm sure there are other names for the road surface... chip-seal or whatever, but it amounts to small washed stone spread out on the road over a coating of hot asphalt that is sprayed on the road surface immediately before the stone is spread on it... it is probably a lot cheaper than paving with black-top, but it wears tires fast as running on rough sandpaper...

Good luck in your search

I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”