head gasket bad

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
lbman
Motorcycle: 1982 1100 I
ex bikes
82XJ Yamaha
76 R90/7 BMW
72Harley sportster.pos
90 FLHTC Harley
86 FXRT Harley
74 Glide Harley
72 750 Yamaha
too many more to list.

head gasket bad

Postby lbman » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:23 am

dog gone it !! its been a while but high all,
there is getting to be too much stuff on the www.
I finely managed to order an engine gasket kit for my 82 1100i . issues w/ overheating and smell from right pipe of antifreeze.
the ? I have is....would this have anything to do with high oil consumption? bike has close to 90,000.
I just changed the oil , maybe 2 tanks of gas and its over a Qt. low. this is not good! I think I will do a compression test. should be able to check the other cyl. that are not associated with the leaky one. Correct?
thanks ,
LB

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: head gasket bad

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:38 am

Yes, particularly on these older bikes, it's more important that the cylinder compression is reasonably consistent across all cylinders more than an absolute value (although overall low compression is a problem as well).

lbman
ex bikes
82XJ Yamaha
76 R90/7 BMW
72Harley sportster.pos
90 FLHTC Harley
86 FXRT Harley
74 Glide Harley
72 750 Yamaha
too many more to list.

Postby lbman » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:45 am

HELP!
head gasket on right side done. they did not include cam shaft seals in "Complete engine gasket set" so I opted to change head gasket on right side (bad one) and pull motor this winter to go through it as well as replace clutch parts.
frustrated with parts suppliers to say the least. $150.00 for freekin WHAT? a bunch of O rings that are not a perfect match to original rings.
anyways....I thought I was being painstakingly careful while assembling . put everything back together , Bike fired right up, but as it warmed up It started to pump water out of radiator cap. I thought cap was on bad due to the reservoir loosing its water also. I am at a loss to what to do. I tried to get a new cap. but they do not carry them at auto parts stores around here. I put original cap back on , fired bike back up to warm up. everything went ok. HMMM
I was going to put hardware back on bike, but one last time I warmed bike back up and it started pushing water out cap again. after I let it cool back down
I checked plugs, they are dry w/ no signs of antifreeze as was the case before new head gasket.
what did I do wrong?
Larry B

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:06 pm

Just a stupid question, but is the hose that goes from the radiator neck to the reservoir in place? If not, it is supposed to push coolant out of that once it warms up, that's how it gets into the reservoir.

If it is in place, where exactly is it coming out - from between the cap and the radiator neck? Was the cap replaced? Is its gasket intact?

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Postby f1xrupr » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:38 pm

Hey...those heads must be retorqued after a heat cycle!!! You don't need to remove anything accept the valve covers because there is no spring tension against the bolts etc, and belt tension is minimal. Also, you might check the pick up tube in the resivor and see if it's clogged. Did you check or resurface the heads? ....
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

lbman
ex bikes
82XJ Yamaha
76 R90/7 BMW
72Harley sportster.pos
90 FLHTC Harley
86 FXRT Harley
74 Glide Harley
72 750 Yamaha
too many more to list.

Postby lbman » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:42 am

thanks for getting back to me. I will re torque the head. I did check the head and block with a straight edge. and with a big flat file .(I took off No material )I use it to make sure no gasket is left behind.
It looked like water from the reservoir was leaking from the cap as well as water being pushed from radiator.
It did puzzle me that water drained out from the reservoir and ran from the cap like that. I checked the cap , both rubber gaskets looked OK to me. and surfaces were good. spring was good.
I have to ask, what changed ? It did not blow fluid all over when head gasket was know to be bad. Just smelt antifreeze when I started it. and it was starting to fowl plugs on right side. plus it was overheating. but not maxed out hot, just above the norm by quite a bit. anyways.
Now you guys have me thinking about the radiator cap. I was going to pick one up but shucks could not cross over Stant # . I will go to Napa. today.
The head gasket I removed was copper. the one that went back on was mettle. anyways I will mess with it today and let you know.
thanks again
LB

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”