1983 Goldwing Aspencade. Noise rattle on decel

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Newbie wingrider
Motorcycle: 1983 aspencade goldwing

1983 Goldwing Aspencade. Noise rattle on decel

Postby Newbie wingrider » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:03 pm

Hi, I am new here and this is my first goldwing.I am a car mechanic so I'm not new to working on stuff,I also work on police Hondas st1300p.
So I recently bought this 83 goldwing, it has 72k on it. It runs good, although it has a rattle type noise coming from the engine, not a engine knock, a rattle/chatter. Sounds like a bad idler bearing, but the noise is in the rear of the engine, rear cover by the primary chain, clutch..maybe the noise is transferring to the back of the engine. I need to pull the timing covers to check the adjuster pulleys. I read some where to adjust the valve for this concern? Second issue driving the bike normal there is not really any issues, but on a really hard acceleration,the bike misses until you back off the throttle, then it runs fine...I have been running 87 octane, so I tried 91 octane, and changed the plugs to ngk. Did have champion..
With doing both of these the miss got a lot better, but it is there I little nothing like before, and better throttle response, and smoother.
Reading all these posts, carb sync, valve adjustment, can make the engine to make noises. Let me know what you guys think.
Thank you Derek

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 1983 Goldwing Aspencade. Noise rattle on decel

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:36 am

I'm thinking the noise could be the universal joint, right near the swingarm pivot. When unloaded (i.e. under deceleration) but still turning quickly, and it is worn out, it can make noise. If you are decelerating, and pull the clutch in to let the engine come to idle, does the noise continue? If so, it's likely that universal joint.

Newbie wingrider
Motorcycle: 1983 aspencade goldwing

Re: 1983 Goldwing Aspencade. Noise rattle on decel

Postby Newbie wingrider » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:31 pm

Once the clutch is pulled in the noise goes away,

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”