83 GL1100A Running issues, air hose

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Krayth
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

83 GL1100A Running issues, air hose

Postby Krayth » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:33 am

After ignoring it for a year, I've finally gotten the carbs rebuilt and the gas tank cleaned and sealed. so now it runs pretty good, except for a couple things: Most of the time if it sits for 10 mins or more it will puff out a cloud of white smoke right at ignition. While idling it will occasionally pop/poof through the carbs. While idling it will once in a while go thunk/bang with an engine stumble.
Any ideas/suggestions on what to do/check next would be appreciated. Timing belt? weak spark coils?
Also the air hose that goes from the selector switch to the front shock is rotted and leaks, any aftermarket solutions?

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Re: 83 GL1100A Running issues, air hose

Postby wingman12 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:44 am

Good morning Krayth, to my understanding the puff of smoke is caused by oil seeping by your valve seals into your cylinder or cylinders, apparently this is a know issue on these older wings and are nothing serious, plus with use again it is possible that this problem will go away.
As for the backfiring from time to time, it is a carb problem, I know you said you rebuild them, did you bench set the float bowls? bench sync the carbs? insure that all of the jets (especially the slow speed idle jets) were perfectly clean and no blockage anywhere? did you do a bench set of the air/fuel mixture needle? after reinstalling on to engine, did your tweek the air/fuel needle and lock them down? did you then sync the carbs? If you did all of the above and still have the same issue, put in 3oz of seafoam for every gallon of fuel and run thru 2 or 3 tank full of fuel and what ever restriction is in the carbs should be cleaned out. :D :D

wingman12

Postby wingman12 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:49 am

sorry I forgot about the air hose, you could check bike bandit, J&P cycles or even cyclemax for this part. I perhaps is only OEM available but look around first, you might even be able to locate on ebay or check out this site for people that are junking out older bikes and you could get one that way. good luck on the hunt. :D :D

wingman12

Postby wingman12 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:07 pm

Krayth, go to the for sale/wanted section on this forum, go down about 15 lines there is a person that is parting out 2 1982 goldwings, I am sure you can get your air lines from him.

Krayth
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Krayth » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:29 pm

Thanks for the responses. I had tried to do the carbs myself a couple years ago and I didn't do a good enough job on them. I was tired of all the work I'd spent with so little return, so this time I took them to a friend of a friend who works on old bikes as his day job (he had 4 gl1100s in his shop when I went by). he used a randakk kit and said he sync'd everything and to let him know if there were any serious problems. I haven't taken it for a ride yet (it was buried) but I plan to this weekend. I'm just a bit out of my depth and looking for ideas.
I have now posted to the guys who might have the hoses, thanks. I had found the exact OEM hoses at a couple places, but they want $55 for a 6" hose

For reference, here's the video of what this was like before I had the carbs rebuilt, only going on 2 cylinders

wingman12

Postby wingman12 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:03 pm

The guy that rebuild the carbs did use the best kit available. Yes the hoses are expensive because of the fittings (so they say) they just have you by the short hairs and jack up the price. Do not forget seafoam or even a good carb cleaner in the fuel before your ride and pay attn to the performance as you put on some miles. In your neck of the woods you should be able to get in a quick 100 before breakfast wears off. If you can not hold air in your front forks do not get crazy on the turns, a soft front end could give a rash. You might want to think about progressive springs in your front forks and never worry about air lines again? Handles much better also. Good luck over the 4th of July holiday and please keep us posted on your progress. :D :D

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”