Handling woes on an 83 GL1100 Interstate

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
BillyBarcode
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Handling woes on an 83 GL1100 Interstate

Postby BillyBarcode » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:19 am

Folks:

I recently purchased a used 83 GL1100 Interstate that appears to have been dropped at some time. (90,000 km on the odo) The right side of the bike shows scrapes on the exhaust and it has a cracked fairing. The bike seems to have issues with the rear end. When I took the air filler cap off to check presuures in the rear shocks, fluid squirted out and it wouldn't take any air. The handling is "skittish" for want of a better word. I have ridden other Wings, and none of them had this kind of behaviour. All the others were rock steady. This one feels like something is loose back there, though I have checked everything and it's tight. How do I check that the frame is straight? Any ideas about why this beast doesn't want to track straight?

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Handling woes on an 83 GL1100 Interstate

Postby RBGERSON » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:09 am

to see if the tire is running straight..put something vertically next to the tire and spin the tire the gap between the tire and thing shoudl remain the same..now do that for the rim too.if one or both are off that could be your problem. Loose swing arm could be an issue too.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

BillyBarcode

Postby BillyBarcode » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:44 pm

Thank you...I will definately do this. I'm hoping that the frame's not bent, and since I am over an hour from the nearest Honda dealership, this will help immensely until I can get and appointment and get it there.

Any idea how I can test the swing arm? It seems tight (I don't get any side to side play on the rear wheel when I try to wiggle it on the centre stand). Yesterday, the rear end did bottom out on a dip in the road. Since I seem to have bad fork seals in the shocks (oil leaking out of the air nipple when I tried to check air pressure in the rear shocks), would that be part of my problem?

Also, yesterday, some jerk crossed over into my lane from an oncoming lane, and as soon as I hit the brakes to avoid a collision, it went into a violent front end wobble and almost pulled me into the ditch. I managed to recover and get out of the idiot's way...he was texting on his smart phone, and I don't think he even noticed me. He just kept going. Never even stopped. I was so busy saving the bike, I didn't get a licence plate number, and I was shaking so badly, I didn't want to chase him down.

I tried the emergency braking today to see if it would do the wobble again, and it didn't do that, but when I take my hands off the bars, it goes into a slight front end wobble that stops when I put my hands back on the bars. Any ideas?

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:05 am

Sounds like you need to rebuild or replace the rear shocks. Bad shocks will cause your handling problems.

Tom
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

BillyBarcode

Postby BillyBarcode » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:54 am

Thank you, Tom. I spoke with another Goldwing owner, and he also said the same thing. He also suggested that when I replaced or rebuilt the shocks to check the swing arm carefully as well. I really appreciate everyone who responded. It's quite a community we have here!

sportsfreaked
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1100I
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition gl1200

Postby sportsfreaked » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:55 pm

Welcome to the Goldwing club. I am a newer owner of Goldwing's and this site and the people on here are the best! I rebuilt a lot of my 1100 thanks to the articles and kind folks on here. I liked it so much I went and purchased a nice 1200 Limited Edition. I would suggest that you sign up for the newsletter that comes out every month via your email. Wing Admin does a great job putting it together and it has a ton of great information that is useful not only to newbies but experienced riders as well. Remember no question is a dumb one! The folks here are the kindest folks on the web!

Thanks to all who answer and help. It is greatly appreciated!
Ed

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”