1980 Gl1100 project guidance needed

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
glbobber
Motorcycle: GL1100

1980 Gl1100 project guidance needed

Postby glbobber » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:42 pm

Hello,

I'd like to start out by saying thanks for all of the info that's on this forum - I'll be spending a lot of time on here, that's for sure.

I recently purchased a 1980 GL1100. Hadn't been started in a few years, came with some spare parts and most of the fairings (will put up for sale/trade when I get a chance). I'm not in a hurry to get it done and running next week, so I don't mind taking my time and doing some extra work, as long as it's done right. I don't know much about bikes/engines/carbs, but with youtube and forums like this, it's not an issue.

My goal is to have a naked goldwing with custom paint, custom fenders/lights/tank/gauges that runs and sounds as it should.

I've done little work on it so far - drained all of the fluids, removed brakes (rebuilding rear cylinder), gas tank, rear tire, shocks, radiator and most of the wiring. I got to the engine and it's where I'm sorta stuck. I pulled the timing belts cover - had some rust from the tensioners, but all else seemed good. Spark plugs looked healthy, but there was some oil leaks on the bottom of cylinder head ( or maybe the shifter). So, me being curious and all, I pulled the valve cover and cylinder head off (on the shifter side). I'm guessing the pistons have the expected carbon buildup (engine has about 39k miles on it), and since the gasket was pretty much baked, I'll have to replace it anyway. Might as well do some cleaning while I have it apart.

I have a few question as to where I should go from here:

- How do I go about cleaning the tensioners and rust from the front of the engine? Use some solvent with fine sand paper?
- I've seen videos on how to clean the left over gasket material (I'll be purchasing new gaskets) and the top of the pistons so that they are all shiny. What do you think is the best way to do so?
- Let's say I clean the top of the pistons and replace the gaskets, should I bother with taking the rest of the engine apart just to inspect? Or should I just put back together and see how it runs? Would like to get it running good now, instead of fixing it when it's painted....
- How do I go about cleaning and lubricating the inside of the cylinder's walls? Anything special to be concerned about? Or can I just spray some brake fluid cleaner in there, turn them over by hand a few times and call it good?
- I won't have most of the bike together when I try to start the engine, so what electrical do I need to make the engine run, other than starter...? What's the bare minimum?
- In 100yrs, when I get the engine, electrical and brakes all figured out -- anything else I should work on before I take it apart and work on looks and paint?

Thanks for all of your help. I'll share some progress pictures, when they are worth sharing...

auctioneeral
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 nake
1981 GL1100 full dresser
Both getting restored

Re: 1980 Gl1100 project guidance needed

Postby auctioneeral » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:25 am

Just my 2 cents i brought a 81. Not running. And i replaced valve stem seals gear shaft seal new head gaskets and also replace water pump orings. Timing belts and i swap over to single carb. But you will have to clean carbs. I also installed new clutch disc.

glbobber

Postby glbobber » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:16 pm

auctioneeral, thanks for the reply. I was hoping I'd get a few more, but oh well....

I'm still in the process of cleaning everything...almost done with the carbs and moved onto the engine. Running into some issues

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:24 pm

Welcome glob bet the wing land. You already know that you have a 35 year young fine machine. Unfortunately it has spent most of its life doing nothing, this hurts any machinery. As for the engine work, I am going to leave that to someone else because I am not experienced with that part of your bike. I do know from returning a1982 gl1100 with 63,000 from the land of dead, that there are many small but important things to do. Your tensioners being rusty probably because of a gasket that needs to be replaced. I'd there is no wobble or movement up or down or left to right and they move freely and smoothly, you can clean them with 50/50 vinegar and water by soaking overnite. You are already doing the timing belts, adjusting the valves, rebuild the carbs, (remember that there are a lot of rubber parts inside the carbs and there was no such thing as ethanol (alcohol) in your fuel. Alcohol severely damages rubber, quickly. Clean your fuel tank, change fuel lines and fuel filter, flush out the fuel pump with seafoam. You need tires, what about the 35 year old bearings front and back? Final drive splines need to be cleaned and Molly 60 or equivalent applied, flush and drain the oil in final drive, pull drive shaft and clean up both ends and again apply Molly 60. Front and rear master cylinders, brake fluid draws water, is there any gray stuff in them? If so then rebuild and get new braded lines, rebuild all brake calipers and put on new pads. Thourly inspect your bikes under frame before you go to far to insure not cracked or rusting out, grease your center stand and side stand, clean and grease your swing arm bearings, clean and grease your steering head bearings and torque to spec. What about the front forks? New oil? Or perhaps a rebuild with progressive springs? Rear air shock? New ATF? I Think I have talked long enough, we will be looking forward to seeing your progress pictures. :D :D :D

glbobber

Postby glbobber » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:23 pm

Hi wingman12,

it sounds like there might be a bit more work than what I had originally hoped for, I guess I should make a checklist :) I'll be replacing the fork seals and some of the stuff you brought up, I hadn't even thought about. Thanks!

So cleaning the engine block and top of the pistons, there was some of the old head gasket I could not remove with baking soda, alcohol and a scratch pad or a brass brush (I tried for a long time). I decided to use sand paper (against what everyone else says). Some people say they use 180 or 220, I decided to use 600 and wet sand - very carefully and not a lot. Couldn't get the engine block or the head perfect, but I don't want to go too far and damage it.

I noticed a chip on the outside wall of the engine block (picture attached). Obviously, it's not a good thing, but I had no leaks in that area before I removed the head. Is this something that should be of a major concern and or possibly require a bit more advanced of a repair (as in a shop)?
Attachments

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:15 pm

Hello go bobber, yes restritration and confirmation that you will not have to worry about ant repairs for sometime requires you check out or replace marginal small items, as much as possible stay from OEM parts, they often are double after market products that are just as good, but you are not paying for the mother Honda brand name. As I mentioned earlier I am no expert on engine rebuilds, but if you had no issues before with this nick you found, I personally would clean it up as best possible, mix up a little job weld, pack it into that nick, let it set for a few hours, carefully and slowly smooth the job done to make a perfect surface match with the rest of the block. Some of the mechanics on this site will probably have a differant thought process.
Fun the best thing to get rid of the carbon build up is something called (water). Once you get everything put back together and running pretty good, remove the air filter and crank the rpm to around 3000 and using a spray bottle ( cleaned up winded bottle for example) squirting a little water into each carb intake until you no longer get white smoke. Carbon gone out your tail pipe. :D :D

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”