Replacing handlebars on a '83 question

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
chrisz
Motorcycle: Honda GL1100 year 1983
Triumph Tiger 1050 year 2008

Replacing handlebars on a '83 question

Postby chrisz » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:00 pm

Hi,

I'm in the process of replacing the OEM handlebars with aftermarket type. The OEM bars have a hole at each end where the hand switch clusters sit (for the switch cluster nib to fit in). The aftermarket unit of course doesn't have these holes, so the hand switch cluster doesn't fit perfectly (flush) on the bars. Should I drill holes to accommodate the switch nib, grind off the nib or leave it as is with slight gap between the bars and hand switch cluster?

Another question, as the OEM bars are quite heavy in comparison to the aftermarket bars, (likely due to the size and they seem to include weights inside the bars at the hand grip section), would I need to use bar end weights with the new aftermarket bars?

Thanks,

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Replacing handlebars on a '83 question

Postby RBGERSON » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:02 am

drill those holes help keep the grips from rotating, I's try w/o weights..you can always add them later..but shouldn't be an issue.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

chrisz

Postby chrisz » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:09 am

RBGERSON wrote:drill those holes help keep the grips from rotating, I's try w/o weights..you can always add them later..but shouldn't be an issue.

I agree with you, will do the holes and try without the bar end weights for the time being.

Thanks,

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:51 am

Definitely drill the holes, as mentioned, to keep the controls from rotating.

As for the weights, they have two purposes in life: one, to help reduce felt vibration, and two, to help increase the inertia against speed wobble. After you have the new bars on, I would take the bike out for a careful test ride. While riding at several different speed ranges, both accelerating, constant speed and decelerating, with your hands very lightly on the handgrips, give one bar end a shove to cause a quick swerve, and make sure the bike quickly returns to straight ahead by itself. A slight wobble (i.e. one or two diversions before returning to straight ahead) is OK. A negative dynamic wobble (where it gets stronger and stronger by itself until you intercede or until it becomes a tankslapper and throws you off the bike) is not.

chrisz

Postby chrisz » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:34 pm

Ok bars have been drilled, grips installed, however i will need to replace the throttle cables (throttle won't return normally when twisted), and the front brake line as well.
Can anyone suggest best way to measure the new length of throttle cables needed and who to procure from?
As for the electrical cabling from the hand controls, they too look a bit cumbersome with the extra length, how difficult would it be to trim those down?

I'll get the SS braided lines from another fellow on this site (HEL).

Thanks,

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:12 am

No need to go have custom throttle cables made, they are readily available brand new from multiple manufacturers. They're so common you can even find them on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ingdocs-20

Read through: How to replace your throttle cables

chrisz

Postby chrisz » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:18 pm

WingAdmin wrote:No need to go have custom throttle cables made, they are readily available brand new from multiple manufacturers. They're so common you can even find them on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ingdocs-20

For the replacement cables, I need shorter length, I didn't see how Amazon (from link above) would know the length needed??

Yes, I've read through the good write up on removal and will be doing this shortly.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:45 pm

chrisz wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:No need to go have custom throttle cables made, they are readily available brand new from multiple manufacturers. They're so common you can even find them on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ingdocs-20

For the replacement cables, I need shorter length, I didn't see how Amazon (from link above) would know the length needed??

Yes, I've read through the good write up on removal and will be doing this shortly.

You could modify them yourself...a quick little bit of heat on the end plug from a blowtorch and it will melt the solder in the middle and it will slip right off the inner cable. You can then pull the cap off the jacket, pull the inner cable out, and chop some off of the jacket. Cut the same amount off of the cable. Then fit the cap back onto the jacket, slide the cable back in, re-solder the plug back on, and you're done!

chrisz

Postby chrisz » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:29 pm

You could modify them yourself...a quick little bit of heat on the end plug from a blowtorch and it will melt the solder in the middle and it will slip right off the inner cable. You can then pull the cap off the jacket, pull the inner cable out, and chop some off of the jacket. Cut the same amount off of the cable. Then fit the cap back onto the jacket, slide the cable back in, re-solder the plug back on, and you're done!

Clever. Will have to practice on the old ones first...

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”