Low Compression

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

My Beautiful POS

Postby Hoosier Jack » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:19 pm

Okay folks, here is the story so far. Had the valves readjusted and the tapping is still fairly bad. But the poor running is most likely due to bad spark ignitors. I have another pair and am going to put them on tonight and see if that helps the bike run right. One cylinder is not even working and I suspect that another is running poorly, if not mostly nill. That will make a bike feel more like a bicycle, huh? I don't know but I imagine that each ignitor works two plugs????

My question is this, who would I use, and how much could I expect to pay to have the heads cleaned up and new valves installed. This is above my pay grade and makes sense to have someone with the machinery and expertise to do it. I would buy some heads that are good from someone here if they have them.

Should this be moved to the tech section? I can't do that either.

Rob H
Motorcycle: 2000 1500 SE, XR 650, CBR 600, Harley FB, KLR 650, CBX 750 Cafe Racer, Z1000 Eddie Lawson.

Re: My Beautiful POS

Postby Rob H » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:45 pm

Have you done a compression test? I think you need to determine what the tapping noise is before you do too much work on this engine. You may be wasting your time.

Hoosier Jack

Postby Hoosier Jack » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:23 am

Compression test done. The numbers are dismal.
1. 115
2. 12
3. 0 I did it three times
4. 80

Now, the fact that the motor does not seem to be burning oil (lack of blue smoke at any time) I imagine I need top end work.

Suggestions?

Hoosier Jack

Low Compression

Postby Hoosier Jack » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:39 am

I am moving my Beautiful POS posting to the tech section for obvious reasons. Just got an 82 1100 running after maybe three years sitting. There was a lot of tapping from the valves on both sides. I had them readjusted yesterday and it only made a small improvement. I did a compression test this morning and the numbers suck.

1 115 psi
2 120
3 0 I did it three times
4 80

Now, the fact that the bike does not seem to be burning oil (no blue smoke anyway) it seems to me that I need top end work. The jury is out on number three. Rebuilding the heads is not something I can do so I will need to have it done by someone who has the tools and expertise. Or find some good heads. May even need a lot of motor work done.

Suggestions?

auctioneeral
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 nake
1981 GL1100 full dresser
Both getting restored

Re: Low Compression

Postby auctioneeral » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:55 am

Did you do wet compression test.
Compression test with throttle wide open.
And then drop about spoon full of oil down spark plug hole and do compression test.
If compression is higher on wet test then its problely rings. If it stays same valves are problem.

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:17 am

If it's been sitting for three years - you could have some stuck rings- which will loosen up after running for a while- but I would be very concerned about #3 giving a 0 reading. Might be worth taking #3 plug out and see if you can feel ANY compression when the bike is running.......

Other than that it could well be valves not sealing properly - needing a decoke etc...

Any other history on the bike - like why was it put away three years ago ??

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:07 am

Good morning jack, I am going to guess that your new bike has been sitting around for many years and was not stored properly. More than likely your rings are stuck to the Pistons, pull the plugs on left side lay the bike on its right side and put 2 or 3 tablespoons of ATF in each cylinder. Let set for a couple of days, check the ATF level from time to time, then do the same to the right side. This process helps unfreeze the rings. While you are doing this remove the carbs and rebuild them. Change the timing belts and insure the timing is correct. There are lots of other things you should checkout before you even try to start your machine again. Check out the how to do sections for your 1100. Be prepared to change your oil and oil filters at least 3 times within the first 200 miles, after you get it running correctly. More to come as what you might need to do. Keep us posted. :D :D

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:54 am

Chances are if you are seeing 0 compression, you've got either a stuck valve - or a bent valve. Did it have a timing belt break?

Rob H
Motorcycle: 2000 1500 SE, XR 650, CBR 600, Harley FB, KLR 650, CBX 750 Cafe Racer, Z1000 Eddie Lawson.

Postby Rob H » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:30 am

The zero is a problem. The others could be rings sticking. I would fill the cylinder with brake fluid and leave it overnight. Then crank it with no plug and clear all the fluid out. Plug back in and start

I have had success with this previously, but the noise(tapping, knocking) you have is not great news but having said that you have nothing to loose! :D

GO FOR IT!

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:34 am

wingman12 wrote:While you are doing this remove the carbs and rebuild them. Change the timing belts...

I know this is just your standard reply, but NO :roll: Waste of time and money on a motor that you don't know if it's good or not yet :roll: :roll:

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Postby f1xrupr » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:31 pm

Wingadmin is correct-bent or stuck valve
As far as rings stuck, you could remove the rings completely, and still have "some" compression.

The only other things that can cause -0- compression are (assuming it still is holding its coolant), burnt or broke piston, or a broke connecting rod.

My bet would be, that someone tried working on it-head gasket or timing belts-ant put the belts on wrong, and bent the valves up with the starter. If that's what happened, it's probably worth fixing.
A good indicator that that's what happened would have been, finding the valves waaaaaay loose (someone trying to get compression). That would also indicate the seller knew it was like that.
Oh yeah-take out the sparkplug, and look in the cylinders while turning the engine slowly, and see if that -0- compression piston is moving.
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

Hoosier Jack

Postby Hoosier Jack » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:18 am

I got home late last night and read through the replies here. I appreciate the feedback. I was able to find another motor at Green's, which is a big salvage yard south-west of Louisville, KY. 3-4 hours from me and a nice drive if you have never driven through Kentucky before. I had heard some good things about them. They have a good motor with a known stator problem and about 40k on the clock. Decent price at $500.

I had decided that I would not go half way on my motor. If the valves were a problem, then I was assuming that there were internal problems as well. That 0 scared me. Motor rebuilds would have cost me upwards of $2 grrrr to have done right and there is no use not having it done right. The bike is in such shape that it deserves to be treated right. That being said I have never kept any bike longer than 3-4 years and the resale can't justify the cost.

After I have done the switch I am planning on tearing this motor down to see what is what. Maybe I will rebuild this one myself over time. I have the service manual I got from here, or Steve Saunder's site, but if anyone has some tips on the engine removal I would appreciate it. I will plan on posting the progress on this as I go along. Again, thanks for the replies and the encouragement. Who knows, I may yet ride this thing this summer.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”