Goldwing Shipping

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
pschweitzer
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate GL1100I

Goldwing Shipping

Postby pschweitzer » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:53 am

Not sure if this topic belongs here or elsewhere. After relocating to Houston with my job (family still in VA but ExxonMobil wants us all in one place in Spring) I still need to get my '83 Interstate down here. I could do the 21+ hour drive back and trailer down but I looked at cost including trailer rental one-way and it might be just as cost effective to ship the bike. I have had quotes from Simply Motorcycle Shippers and Haul Bikes from $500 - $600. They seem to be the few shippers that are not farming out the job and look like they have the equipment and insurance. Anyone have any knowledge here or know of any other shippers or other means?

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Goldwing Shipping

Postby RBGERSON » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:02 am

Find a riding buddy who likes to ride and pay for his/her plane ticket back or to.....or you do it. over a weekend.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:23 am

By the time you add a few motel rooms, cost of meals and then that airplane ticket it might be cheaper to ship the bike.

If you are an AMA member, they have a special deal and discount with shipping through Federal Motorcycle Transport.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:15 am

harvey01 wrote:By the time you add a few motel rooms, cost of meals and then that airplane ticket it might be cheaper to ship the bike.

If you are an AMA member, they have a special deal and discount with shipping through Federal Motorcycle Transport.

A few motel rooms?!? That's a one day ride! :) :)

Personally I'd rather transport myself up to the bike and ride it back - much more fun that way. I've done that before, fly myself out, ride the bike back.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:24 pm

WingAdmin,
You are a better man than me. It is roughly 1300 miles and that is two long days in the saddle and using mostly interstate to blast from VA to Houston. Not my preferred way. Actually 15 years ago, I would not have done it in one day unless there was something more important than just delivering a motorcycle, as 1300 miles is a long way in a day---been there done that and don't intend to do it again.

And I prefer to take back roads so I figure three days travel to make it interesting. And to take some time to enjoy the ride and sightseeing. There is a lot between here and Houston.

Yes it would be fun to ride his bike down to Houston but I am afraid my expenses would exceed the price of shipping. And with a 1983, the OP may not want to add on those 1300 miles.

Honestly I would contact Federal for shipping and either to that route or fly/drive to VA and get my wife to drive the car back while I rode the bike and turn it into a mini 3 to 5 day vacation.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

pschweitzer

Postby pschweitzer » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:02 pm

Harvey,

Thanks. Federal did not show up on my Google search, so that is one more quote I can get. I was going to drive back and trailer (hoping to borrow a trailer from my buddy here but he hasn't picked it up yet- some special folding motorcycle trailer). I drive a RAM 3500 diesel and the cost of fuel is about $450 round trip. I checked U-Haul and they wanted about $300 for a one way on a standard 5x8 flat bed. It is 1400 miles and best I have done is 21 hours (I'm not that young anymore either). If you add hotel and meals (unless you do what I have done and use the Flying J and sleep in the truck) shipping starts to look economical.

Pat

pschweitzer

Postby pschweitzer » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:33 pm

Wing came last Monday. I used Simply Motorcycle Shipping. Very responsive bunch. I placed the order on-line on the previous Tuesday and got a call on Wednesday that the bike could be picked up the following morning. The guy was early at my home in VA and everything was done so my wife only had to show the driver where the bike was. He even took my helmet and keys. It was going to be delivered Saturday but I already had plans, so they delivered on Monday morning. Happy me with my wing.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”