Timing Belt

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Piddler
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Timing Belt

Postby Piddler » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:47 pm

Hello All,
It's time I get to work on my 82 GL1100. The last time I was on here was months ago and My GL had just taken a crap on me. I think my timing belt is kapoot. I mean like broken off or something. I need to know how to access it. Looking at it I think I need remove the radiator. Is that true?
A little history, I had a wreck a while back where I hit some dirt in a turn and laid it down at 50+ mph. the bike slid for about 70 feet and did a flip. I repaired the plastic and got it going again until one day it wouldn't start. I tried a bit of starter fluid and it fired and went bang. Not from backfire but like something smacking inside. Only then did I notice some damage on the timing cover from the accident a couple months earlier. On the left side about 2" above center there is a hole punched through both the timing cover and a bit of the case that it seats against. I'm thinking a burr is sticking in enough to slowly shred it until it slipped. Does that sound like a likely hood? I have never opened one of these things up.
Greg in Castro Valley, California

BRIANINMAINE
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 standard with Honda fairing, Vetter bags and trunk

Re: Timing Belt

Postby BRIANINMAINE » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:50 pm

It's not impossible to check this without removing the radiator, but I usually do. Here is a great link with photos that show the process (on a 1000 but almost identical).
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3544

If the belts are broken or timing has skipped a tooth, some of the valves are probably bent. Heads must be removed and inspected for damage. Lots of work. HUGE money to take to a shop - I'd recommend doing yourself. There are tons of videos for this stuff on the web, the 1000s and 1100s are very similar with the heads and timing. 1200s also very similar. Watch all the videos you can find until you are confident you can do it. Label everything you take off and take lots of photos during removal.

Good luck!

Piddler

Postby Piddler » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:43 pm

I managed to loosen the radiator enough to get my hand in there and remove the cover. The left belt had visible damage where it had been rubbing the protrusion on the inside of the timing cover. The left pulley mark was stopped right on the timing mark and the right side was off by one tooth just as you said. There was ground rubber spread around inside the cover.
So that means for sure the piston was hitting the valves or what.
Not a good idea to put knew belts on and do a compression check then?

BRIANINMAINE

Postby BRIANINMAINE » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:52 pm

With new belts (will need them anyway), I would "slowly" crank it over by hand (bolt under the stator cover) clockwise to see if it's binding. Valve covers off will let you see the valves move in and out. Check clearances. Maybe you're lucky and didn't bend anything.
valve clearance:
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7436

If all looks good by hand, then I might try compression test - throttle wide open, kill switch off.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:05 am

"IF" you are sure it's only one tooth off, there should not be any damage.
Some have reported when the timing belts were one tooth off each the bike ran better. ... SOME said.
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Piddler

Postby Piddler » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:37 pm

I ordered a set of timing belts
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C ... UTF8&psc=1
And watched some you-tube videos to find out how to install them. Doesn't look to complicated, I also learned to remove the stater cover and rotate the crank with the bolt there. Since my old belts are still intact, just off by one tooth, I decided to rotate the crank slowly by hand to see if there was any interference. The was no resistance other than normal drag from gears and weight. Good News! I am now beginning to wonder if my starter may have busted or something to cause the noise which caused me to open the timing cover and discover the belt almost split down the middle from the protruding burr. Wouldn't that be nice, I would just be doing a badly needed belt replacement and starter repair or replacement and off I go. Fingers Crossed !
Greg

BRIANINMAINE

Postby BRIANINMAINE » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:54 pm

I would check and set the valve clearances also. Rotate by hand.

Piddler

Postby Piddler » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:09 pm

I swapped the belts out today but I couldn't get it to turn over as I suspected the starter wouldn't kick on. I removed it and hooked it to my jump charger and it spins. Then I put it back on the bike and hooked my jump starter to it directly, it would turn over but not very fast. I checked the voltage on the loose wire running to the starter while disconnected from the starter and I got around 10 volts though the battery has 12v showing. I pulled the plugs out and ran the starter with the jump charger and it would spin a bit better but not very impressive, My jump charger will go to 200A so I would give it short bursts. I couldn't get it so start that way though.
Any ideas?
Greg

BRIANINMAINE

Postby BRIANINMAINE » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:22 pm

Clean the whole ground line from the terminal on the battery to the ring on the frame mount. Makes a world of difference.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”