My Motor Switch with Pictures

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

My Motor Switch with Pictures

Postby Hoosier Jack » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:46 pm

Now that I’ve determined that I am going to change the motor on this 82 1100, I thought I would make a little tear down, build back up thread to help anyone else that might want to do this. Re-phrase that; has to do this. If you are doing this for fun then I question your IQ.

This bike came to me last summer for a really great price but had not ran for a couple of years. I got it started a couple of weeks ago and soon found out it was a tapping machine and had very low compression. Zero in fact in number three. I have sourced another motor from a place called Green’s in Milford, KY. Supposedly the largest in that State. I don’t know, but I have heard good things about them. It costs $500 which is not too bad. Supposed to have good compression, but a known stator issue.
Here we go. Pretty bike but no go good.

I have removed the lowers, crash guard, foot pegs and the exhaust. Don't know if the exhaust has to be completely removed but I want to do some rehab to the pipes. Get rid of the rust starting to build up and put some high heat paint on what might rust in the future. Also, I want to do some cleanup underneath the bike and probably some painting there too, especially the frame. I will show before and afters when that is done. The biggest problem I had was separating the two sides from the crossover tube underneath. Been on there a while.

The service manual is very succinct: take out the radiator. I got it out, for the second time, but lost my religion as well. At any rate, you can see it is gone along with the fluids and oil filter.

I am piling all of the parts off the bike in a central place as you see here. Also, I am bagging everything and labeling the bag, or in some cases, the envelope.

If you follow the steps in the manual it is pretty straight-forward. That little crankcase breather storage tank maybe should be changed every 10 to 20 years or so. Same composition as the planet Jupiter. Then you gotta un-hook some wiring (I had already done the stator connector by-pass), some hoses. Got out the starter. Took off the shroud as you can see in the picture below. Note a couple of things: the bolts holding it on could actually hold the motor together for one, they are that large, and when you get the shroud loose don’t just start yanking if off. There are several wires connected to it that I imagine you will not want to splice back together.

When I needed to take the fuel line from the fuel pump I turned the petcock to off and I noticed that some gas was leaking from the front of the dial. May be rebuilding that. Uggh. Then I took off the intake manifolds. I The manual says that the motor will come off without taking the carbs off and after taking off the manifolds and bungeeing the carbs to the frame, I can see that. Try that with your inline 750 from anyone.

Finally got to the point that I had to detach the driveshaft from the transmission. The manual has a funny way of telling you what to do without telling you the PIA levels. You can get the boot out of your way, and you can shine a light into the opening to see the circlip. And you can get the clip remover in there to remove that little sonofa.... but there is no way on God's green earth you can do all three. I was blessed enough that the wife was willing to indulge me a bit and hold a light. Had to get the right tips on the tool, but I finally got it off. Driveshaft slid back easily. (Does the word driveshaft remind you of "Lost")?

That clip is in there.

Been at it most of the day. Tomorrow the motor comes out.

BRIANINMAINE
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 standard with Honda fairing, Vetter bags and trunk

Re: My Motor Switch with Pictures

Postby BRIANINMAINE » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:42 pm

I think is a pain putting the motor back in with the carbs in the way - I take them out since you're already that far. I also take the back wheel off as it could usually use a good cleaning/re-greasing and it make the shaft easier to move in and out.

Just wait until you have to get that stupid boot back ON the driveshaft! You definitely need the right circlip pliers also. Not those all-in-one jobs - a dedicated pliers.

Nice pictures so far!

Hoosier Jack

Postby Hoosier Jack » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:34 pm

The motor did not come out yesterday as life got in the way. But, it did come out today. Behold:

As you can see the motor sits on my jacks on the garage floor. Really did not have a lot of problems getting it out. The driveshaft was not in the way, the frame bolts came out easily and the sub-frame was easy to get off. Hard part was trying to get the jack centered. The carbs were not in the way, but we will see how it is when I put the the new one back in. Didn't need a buddy.

Here is the empty frame. I have quite a bit of clean up to do here, and some painting to do.

I am going to Kentuk land in the morning to pick up my motor. As I said before it is costing me $500 and the compression is supposed to be good. If not I will be writing a strongly worded letter to the management. Maybe I'll take some pictures while I'm down there.

Hoosier Jack

Postby Hoosier Jack » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:50 am

After I get this motor I am going to clean it up real good, most likely paint it. I wonder if anyone has a 1000, 1100 or 1200 that has painted their motor black? If so, post a picture so I can see how it looks.

Hoosier Jack

Postby Hoosier Jack » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:58 am

I did find this bike, but it is a bit (!!!) different from my big tourer. I may photoshop my bike and see how it might look.

Rob H
Motorcycle: 2000 1500 SE, XR 650, CBR 600, Harley FB, KLR 650, CBX 750 Cafe Racer, Z1000 Eddie Lawson.

Postby Rob H » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:05 am

So far so good! Bike looks in very good condition. :D

BRIANINMAINE

Postby BRIANINMAINE » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:33 pm

Hoosier Jack wrote:After I get this motor I am going to clean it up real good, most likely paint it. I wonder if anyone has a 1000, 1100 or 1200 that has painted their motor black? If so, post a picture so I can see how it looks.

http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... in17311000
http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... eedles1000
http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... tbambopper

http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... -the-Month

Hoosier Jack

Postby Hoosier Jack » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:15 pm

I appreciate the pics of other black motors. Still thinking. Well, you all have been with me so far on this little project so you may as well go all in for the next installment. I went yesterday down to Kentucky to pick up the new motor. My truck has some problems with the A/C and it was hot so I borrowed my son's big Chevy. I was out to enjoy the day and take as much time as I wanted.

I took US 41 south and I admit that Indiana may not be the most scenic, it still has its charm. Especially southern Indiana. Everything is green, fields are clean. Nice rolling hills. About 30 miles south of Terre Haute you start to notice all of the roadside farmers markets. They sell watermelons, cantaloupe, sweet corn, tomatoes, whatever is ripe. All of that stuff is ripe now. There are so many that they have to get creative naming them. Pleasant Valley, Green Acres, Melon Patch, Melon Acres. Not melon head that I saw. I would show you a picture of one but the camera fogged up when I took it out of the air conditioned truck. Along with my glasses. Oh, what the heck. Here is one I stopped by.

I took 41 to just north of Evansville, past the big Toyota plant where they put together Camrys or such. They are hiring by the way. Big sign out in front. Not many cops, but one I did see has a story. I am following him and we are both going about 70. Well over the limit, but that is what State troopers do. All of the sudden he turns on his left turn signal and shoots through the median and hauls ass the other way, lights a flashing. Why go after this guy when I deserve the ticket? Kind of like the biblical parable about worrying about the splinter in your neighbor's eye and ignoring the plank in your own. While I ponder this I see why, there is another trooper off to the side and maybe clocked that guy at 80 or something.

North of Evansville I take I-64 about 30 miles east to US 231 and south. Near the Ohio river there is this big nuclear power plant. I didn't know Indiana had a nuke and I made a note to myself to explore it a bit more on the way back. That is if I was going the right way in the first place.

Then it was across the Ohio River on a very cool bridge.

Now I am skirting Owensboro, Ky and am avoiding what has to be the scariest bridge in America. I assume that this disaster waiting to happen is still there. It is a two lane, girder thing that shakes, rattles and scares the crap out of me. All of this time I am on nice, four lane road. Maybe not the best motorcycle road, but great for a pick up truck. That changes just south of Owensboro where US231 turns into a two-lane squeeze deal. I have no idea how far I need to go before heading east because the Windows phone I have (lost my iPhone) has one crappy map app. Turns out that people know about Green's Motorcycle Salvage and I get good directions.

I turn east on US 62 and go through a number of pass-trough towns. Given that the PCH, or maybe the Blue Ridge Parkway are 10s (the Blue Ridge does have a stupid speed limit), and riding to the store is a zero, I would give US 62 a solid 4 or 5. Good pavement, plenty of nice, predictable turns and good scenery. Plus there are places to pass if you are so inclined. I had around 30 miles of it to enjoy and I did.

I came through a town called Do Stop, Ky. I did. There was a gas station called Shamrock. Must be a local chain because I saw another one on US231. There was the obligatory clover on the sign. I thought it odd that it was three-leafed instead of four and I don't know if that means there was no luck to be had here, or one doesn't need luck when you shop at Shamrock. It was interesting around the station. A neat old barn to the east. Maybe a tobacco barn?

Across the street there was a picnic area with a railroad caboose. I have no idea how they got it there. Didn't leave their tracks. ( I kill myself sometimes).

Then on east to Green's. Don't blink or you will miss it. Only thing I am sure about is if I go into Millwood I have gone too far.

The place is populated with big red barns.

The place is as advertised. Tons of stuff in those old barns. They even have what they call Gold Wing Alley, or something close. Every thing is out of the weather. I dealt with Orville, the Gold Wing guy. They let me look around and I found what I hopped would be a passenger footrest but wouldn't fit. They had about 10 bikes for sale that looked good. Didn't ask about the prices. I got help putting the motor in the truck, covered it with plastic for the rain in Indiana, paid for the motor with a nice lady named Cathy and took off.

When I got back to the nuke site I drove around it for a while. I could have lobbed some RPGs at it had I been a terrorist. I'm not. Then drove a bit further east on IN 66 to a town call Grandview, and they indeed had one of the Ohio River. The amount of infrastructure around major rivers is so interesting. I watched a couple of working tug boats go down-river and took this picture of a dredge doing its thing.

Then I took a picture of this sign. Must be like a stop sign for boats. It was green today. If this is the case I wonder how many of them are up and down the river, and who changes the color and why.

I finally got home after 10 1/2 hours, which should have been maybe half that. No, I didn't take a motorcycle but it was a good day nonetheless. Oh, here is the motor. I will post more as progress continues.

Hoosier Jack

Postby Hoosier Jack » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:15 pm

I am doing some work on finding some gaskets and a lot of what I need is no longer available. Water pump, stator cover, oil pan. Anyone have a good source for these or do I need to start making them myself?

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:02 pm

Then I took a picture of this sign. Must be like a stop sign for boats. It was green today. If this is the case I wonder how many of them are up and down the river, and who changes the color and why.

It would be a navigation indicator: Green for starboard, (right hand side), and red for port (left hand side). They probably do no have to change them, too often :roll:
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Hoosier Jack

Postby Hoosier Jack » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:12 pm

redial wrote:

It would be a navigation indicator: Green for starboard, (right hand side), and red for port (left hand side). They probably do no have to change them, too often :roll:

That is actually more interesting than what I was thinking. Question is does it matter which way the boat is traveling? Also I looked at the picture again and there looks to be a solar panel on top so maybe it keeps a little motor charged so someone can send a signal for it to change.

Hoosier Jack

Postby Hoosier Jack » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:47 pm

Okay, for fear of using up server space, here is the scoop.

I don't know when or why it happened, but a few years ago the Coast Guard or whoever moved most of the green (right side, descending) daymarks and lights along the Ohio River from the top of the river bank to down near the water's edge. This one, near Addison, Ohio, remains up high.

As I understand things, pilots and others can use these signs and lights to navigate. You point your boat at the green one until you see the red one, then you turn left and point it at the red one until you see a green one, or something like that.

From the Ohio River Blog.

Hoosier Jack

Postby Hoosier Jack » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:47 pm

Now, does anyone know where I can find gaskets?

Rob H
Motorcycle: 2000 1500 SE, XR 650, CBR 600, Harley FB, KLR 650, CBX 750 Cafe Racer, Z1000 Eddie Lawson.

Postby Rob H » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:36 pm

Sounds like a really fun day out. New knowledge for us regarding the Green river signs.

Looking forward to the rest!

BRIANINMAINE

Postby BRIANINMAINE » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:49 am

Hoosier Jack wrote:Now, does anyone know where I can find gaskets?

I've bought some stuff here:
http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/honda/gl1100/?filters[category]=engine&filters[fitting]=custom&filters[year]=1982
parts fit OK for me.

I also bought kits on ebay (waterpump, rear engine cover..) georgefix is a popular guy on ebay.

Some stuff I just get from westernhonda.com depends on my wallet and mood :)

Good luck! I really enjoyed the ride with photos to get the motor. Thanks!

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:11 pm

bike bandit is also a good for all kinds of parts for your bike, they offer OEM, aftermarket and universal parts. reasonable prices and usually ship same day or next day. They are in San Diego, CA. There is also JP cycle in Iowa, but they do not have the same selection as bike bandit. :D :D

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:23 pm

hoosier Jack, in case you have not already done it, but since you have the bike tore down with the engine out, it is a perfect time to remove your center stand and clean up the bar, add an grease fitting and inspect for rust thru issues. a little grease in this area goes a long way to getting the bike on and off the center stand. Just a thought. :D :D

Hoosier Jack

Postby Hoosier Jack » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:55 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I may go ahead on do that on the center stand. I'm giving serious thought to putting in a new stator, but my stator only has 60k on it so I don't know. I thought that the stator on the motor I bought was bad, but the guy at Green's says he tells every one that. My old motor charged fine so I think I will just use it. I have found the rear case gasket on ebay but am still looking for a pan gasket. I may just use what I have and put some gasket sealer on it. I found a themostat gasket as well. I'm going to start tearing it all down tomorrow. I did drain the oil from the new motor and it looked as if it had just been changed. Good sign.

Hoosier Jack

Postby Hoosier Jack » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:57 pm

Started making progress on the new motor today. I changed the oil filter, changed the cam covers as what I had already was much nicer. The timing belt covers on the new motor are chrome and they will look very nice. I started a real good clean up to prep for paint. Here is a before picture.

You can see where we can get to on these motors when we are cleaning them when they are on the bike. After cleaning things up I taped off everything that I didn't want to paint.

Then some after pictures. Motor looks great. Now, I decided to paint the motor silver like it was. I looked at several photos of black motors and liked them, but in the end I went a bit conservative. The wife said I should keep it closer to original.

Hopefully tomorrow I will change the timing belts. The belts on the old motor were just changed and I am going to use those. I ordered the gasket to go around the stator and when it comes in early next week I will change the stator from the old. I know that this motor has about 20k less miles than my old one, but I know that the old one works. At least I think it does. Haven't ran it too much. Is there any way to test the existing stator without actually running the bike and seeing if it is charging the bike? Suggestions? Advice?

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:42 pm

That oil filter housing looked like it would have polished up real nice without painting :cry:
Hoosier Jack wrote: Is there any way to test the existing stator without actually running the bike and seeing if it is charging the bike? Suggestions? Advice?

As far as I know, just the standard continuity checks. Continuity between each of the three yellow pairs and no continuity to ground.

Rob H

Postby Rob H » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:14 am

Looking really good! :D

Hoosier Jack

Postby Hoosier Jack » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:20 am

Thanks for the encouragement Rob. And spiralout, I kind of did spiral out of control a bit by painting the oil filter cover. I have the old one and I'm going to polish it up. I will try to make you proud.

Okay, my question is this; I am changing the timing belts on the new and putting on those from the old. They are new. I have the timing line set at T1 as shown, but the pulleys up stamps are on the bottom, or 6 o'clock if you will, on both sides. My first thought is that someone just put them on upside down, but they appear to be original belts. Grungy as hell and feel the same way. Please look at the picture I have here and see what you all think.

Inside the covers.

Hopefully here you can see the up position and maybe the timing marks.

As for the stator, I checked continuity on all of the lines coming out from the stator and that was okay. Also, going on a tip from Steve Saunders site I checked to make sure that there was no unduly high amount of resistance. That checked out okay as well. This is about the best you can do to bench test the stator as far I can research.

I also took out the oil screen and it was very clean, so that makes me happy.

Rob H

Postby Rob H » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:40 am

Looks a little rusty in there. If you turn the engine through another revolution the timing marks should line up. I would take off the belts and clean up the area where the belt comes into contact with a wire brush or some emery paper.
That's just my opinion though.
Also clean up the surface of the tensioner pulleys. Just so the new belts have a decent surface to work on and not pick up any rust flakes that could cause damage to them later on down the road.
The timing marks on mine are slightly different but the same principle applies to all engines.

I really enjoy doing things like this. I finished a project bike today that I have been working on for 2 years. I have been riding it incomplete for nearly a year but decided it must be finished.

Good luck!

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:43 am

Hoosier Jack wrote:Okay, my question is this; I am changing the timing belts on the new and putting on those from the old. They are new. I have the timing line set at T1 as shown, but the pulleys up stamps are on the bottom, or 6 o'clock if you will, on both sides. My first thought is that someone just put them on upside down, but they appear to be original belts. Grungy as hell and feel the same way. Please look at the picture I have here and see what you all think.

Keep spinning the motor; you're not on TDC

Hoosier Jack

Postby Hoosier Jack » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:48 am

How do I know besides the T1 mark if I am at TDC? Use the UP stamp spiralout?

Also, I will clean this real good when I'm done. The pulleys from the old motor are great and I will be using them. These are much too rusty. The gasket was pretty poor around the covers so it probably leaked. You will have to explain your project Rob.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”