noisy engine

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
dumbdan
Motorcycle: 1982 GW1100 Interstate

noisy engine

Postby dumbdan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:51 am

Hi All you guys with the GL1100.
Hopefully you can set me on the right path. My motorcycle engine is making a noise like a loose valve or out of sync carbs and this is what I have done.
Compression test, all between 162 and 166 PSI. Spark plugs removed and examined and all 4 look good. Carbs sync with 4 vacuum gauges to perfection.
Valves checked, .004 intake and .005 exhaust. Timing belts and idlers changed and timing checked with timing gun, but the noise was before the belt replacement.
I was riding on the freeway at 70 and all of a sudden I heard a noise like a valve clatter. I slowed down and made it home and then took the bike to a Honda shop. He said it was probably a little wear inside and not to worry but I am worried about it. The clutch makes a bit of noise when you are idling and pull it in but in gear it is quiet and does not slip. The bike has 47K miles on it and I am at a loss to what to look at next. You can hear it at idle and I have used a stethoscope try and isolate it but there in not a place on the engine that I can really pick up the rattle noise. It does change with RPM and on the road at over 20 it is gone. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

maintainer
Motorcycle: 1977 GL 1000
1982 GL 1100 Interstate (Sold)

Re: noisy engine

Postby maintainer » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:26 pm

What's your riding style?
Do you tend to put around a lot at low rpm's ?
Usually you can eliminate spark knock (detonation) and alleviate cylinder carbon build up by wringing her out.
Trying some WOT throttle blasts up redline or near redline though the gears when and where it appropriate and safe.
Also a little dab of tranny fluid added to the fuel is good to decarbonate the combustion chamber.
1982 GL 1100 Interstate SOLD
1977 GL 1000 Standard (naked can be good, who knew?)

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Postby f1xrupr » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:37 pm

I think I would check the oil pickup screen-also, run the oil level at the high mark on the window!
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

maintainer

Postby maintainer » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:56 pm

Not to be argumentative but oil pressure or starvation is "probably" not the issue. If it were the oil light would likely illuminate.
Also running the oil level on an GL 1100 at the upper mark usually is too full. When over full, these bikes can smoke and use some oil until the oil level get's back down to about the halfway mark. This situation of an overfilled crankcase causing smoking and burning oil off is commonly reported issue.

tomos
Motorcycle: Gl1100 a 82
suzuki gs400e 82

Postby tomos » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:45 pm

Hello , my experience with the noises in the engine thought me that something is wrong ! !!
Do not panick,solution for problems with noise is available ,it only depends on how far you want to go to have problem fixed.
In my opinion you should go through the engine .
Take it out ,get set of engine gaskets and be ready to replace ball bearings ,needle bearings main chain could be stretched as well and crankshaft bearings (most likely to be the problem ).
I am afraid that is the best way for you to go.
Kind regards and best of the luck.
Zoran

f1xrupr

Postby f1xrupr » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:07 pm

maintainer wrote:Not to be argumentative but oil pressure or starvation is "probably" not the issue. If it were the oil light would likely illuminate.
Also running the oil level on an GL 1100 at the upper mark usually is too full. When over full, these bikes can smoke and use some oil until the oil level get's back down to about the halfway mark. This situation of an overfilled crankcase causing smoking and burning oil off is commonly reported issue.

I have a oil gauge on my 1100-the light switch activates at about 4-6 psi, and the bike has 70 psi @ 4500~ rpm and 29~psi @ 1200~ rpm. The oil light is a poor indicator of oil pressure at best. With the oil at the add mark, the oil pressure fluxuates between 50~-60~ psi @ 3500~rpm. Only by the use of a "oil gauge" can this info be obtained.
There is no seal between the oil screen housing, and the pick-up tube, thereby allowing cavitation in the oil pump, at higher rpms, as oil does not return fast enough. As crankshaft bearings ware, oil clearances increase, and, due to the fact that the oil passages to the rocker assemblies are orfaced, the rocker can oil starve because of lost pressure at bearings, and limited volumes because of clogging or cavitation.
Again, I recommend that oil supply be considered.
Furthermore, the high oil mark is factory engineered, and not the primary cause of a engine smoking. My bike has 160,000 miles on it, and I run my oil level high, and, it does not smoke at all, except at start up if I store it on the side kick....and that's with royal purple oil, that's known to make a engine use.

dumbdan

Postby dumbdan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:35 pm

Thank you all for your inputs. I will see if giving you some more info helps.
I tend to ride on the freeway and in the mountains so most of the riding on the freeway is at 70 MPH.

I changed the water pump also because I had a drip coming out of the weep hole and at that time I also did the oil and cut the filter open to look for any metal or contaminates and did not find any. ( If I had a worn out bearing would I see metal in the filter? This problem occurred before I did any work. I did the work because of the problem which came right out of nowhere on the freeway, It just started this ticking sound.
I will put a gauge on the oil line to check the pressure and see what it is. The light goes out a second after the bike starts.It does not smoke at all.
If I had a bad crankshaft bearing wouldn't the noise be there all the time? It seems to go away above 2k RPM
I have GN4 10W-40 oil in it as recommended.
Tearing it down is a last resort but if that is what it takes. I am trying to make sure I cover all the bases before doing that.

Thanks Again, All input is useful. I did electrical troubleshooting on large vessels for a living so I know one sentence can turn on the light bulb!!!!

f1xrupr

Postby f1xrupr » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:45 pm

dumbdan wrote:Thank you all for your inputs. I will see if giving you some more info helps.
I tend to ride on the freeway and in the mountains so most of the riding on the freeway is at 70 MPH.

I changed the water pump also because I had a drip coming out of the weep hole and at that time I also did the oil and cut the filter open to look for any metal or contaminates and did not find any. ( If I had a worn out bearing would I see metal in the filter? This problem occurred before I did any work. I did the work because of the problem which came right out of nowhere on the freeway, It just started this ticking sound.
I will put a gauge on the oil line to check the pressure and see what it is. The light goes out a second after the bike starts.It does not smoke at all.
If I had a bad crankshaft bearing wouldn't the noise be there all the time? It seems to go away above 2k RPM
I have GN4 10W-40 oil in it as recommended.
Tearing it down is a last resort but if that is what it takes. I am trying to make sure I cover all the bases before doing that.

Thanks Again, All input is useful. I did electrical troubleshooting on large vessels for a living so I know one sentence can turn on the light bulb!!!!

I said bearing ware, not a bad bearing necessarily-all bearings ware over time.
Above you said you were going 70mph and heard the noise start, then you said at 2000 rpm it seems to quit. Please elaborate...thanks in advance.

maintainer

Postby maintainer » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:12 pm

I did purposefully highlight the word "probably" in my previous reply for a good reason. Online forum diagnosis of anything mechanical is a long shot at best. I am a tech who made living at it for over 25 years and give advice simply to be helpful. I am not into internet debates over who is right. Some valid points were made about the oil light (nicknamed idiot light for a reason) not being totally trustworthy, I agree. I only said that because most guy's don't have a pressure gauge etc. Main bearing wear can reduce oil pressure but the bearing knock does not just come and go. A main bearing knock would be a deep resonating sounding knock. A rod bearing knock would sound very metallic and clearly increase with rpm and knock consistently. Valves on the other hand can tick and rattle intermittently.

Bottom line:
Just don't dive off into the serious stuff until you have at least eliminated the simple possibilities.

f1xrupr

Postby f1xrupr » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:32 pm

How many miles are on the bike? My point above is oil starvation at rocker assemblies- not bad bearings.
It's possible that a valve adjustment came loose.

dumbdan

Postby dumbdan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:48 pm

I hope you can follow this. I was riding at 70 on the freeway when I first heard the noise. I performed all the checks and replaced the water pump (because of a leak) and still had the noise at idle and up to 2K rpm after the work but the noise (ticking sounded the same). As I increase RPM it goes away at 2K rpm and I have ridden the bike and when it passes 2k in rpm the engine sounds ok. It is this noise at idle and up to 2 K that bothers me and I do not know what is causing it. Compression, valves, spark plugs and sync check have shown no problem area.
The timing has been checked as I also replaced the idler pulleys and belts. Even a GoldWing mech said without spending a lot of money he could not identify what was causing it.

Thanks
Dan

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:32 am

Is there any way you can post a video with sound so we can hear the ticking?

Tom
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

dumbdan

Postby dumbdan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:59 am

I will see if a friend of mine can do that as I do not know how.
Thanks
Dan

indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Postby indianakid » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:31 pm

hi d-dan, rather than speculate on the cause of the noise if the bike is still rideable i would like to offer to meet with you somewhere in-between and give it a listen. i am located in Long Beach.

dumbdan

Postby dumbdan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:51 pm

That sounds good but I hesitate to ride on the 5 and 405 so I would come up the coast road. I am retired and a nice ride up the coast would probably be nice. I have a couple of bike friends that want to hear it this weekend so I will let you know what they come up with. I am going to put an oil pressure gauge on it at their request on Friday.

Thanks
Dan

indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Postby indianakid » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:27 am

i just retired last friday and a run down the coast sounds good !

tomos
Motorcycle: Gl1100 a 82
suzuki gs400e 82

Postby tomos » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:29 am

Hi, simple things first,
Ad a half can of see foam to gas thank,
Fill it with premium quality gasoline and take it for a long ride with ocassional high rpm's,until you almost run out of gas.
From my experience it seems that there is a carbon build up and see foam will clean all carb passages and carbon built up.
Readjust valves as removed carbon will increase tolerance for the valves .
I hope this helps .
Regards Zoran

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”