Vetter trunk lights

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Vetter trunk lights

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:41 pm

Hey Guys!
On my 1980 Vetter equipped wing I noticed that when I apply either the front or rear brakes my 4 trunk lights all go out- but come back on when brakes are released.
The brake lights work as normal. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Regards, Johnny

jlaw1017
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100 (current project)
1980 Cx500c (Daily Scoot)

Re: Vetter trunk lights

Postby jlaw1017 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:16 pm

has to be a wiring issue. Does the main Break light still doing what it should? If so I would guess it's faulty wiring between the break light an the trunk. Thats where I would start anyhow... :D
If it has compression, It will run.

Johnyy Smoke

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:10 am

Brake light works fine, however, the turn signals slow down but still work when brakes are applied. Must be a short around the rear of the frame? Also the trunk lights going out, Regards, Johnny

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:02 am

Here's a thought!

I don't know about yours, but my old Vetter Trunk had dual contact receptacles in the running lights, so I installed some 1157 run/brake light bulbs and then wired it up to the bike's brake lights. You might want to do that to both (hopefully) solve your short and add increased visability to those behind you.

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Postby f1xrupr » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:10 am

Whenever some lights go out, when others come on, is almost allways a ground problem. You might try taking a alligator clipped test wire, and clip one end to a clean ground on the frame or battery (then engine?), and the other end to the metal back (pull back rubber boot) of the Vetter lights-then maybe to the break light ground.....other grounds....?...while pushing the breaks, and see.....
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

f1xrupr

Postby f1xrupr » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:53 am

Oh...signals slowing down when brake is applied is not a electrical problem-it just takes amps from the signal circuit, and makes the flasher work slower. Changing the brake lights from 1157s to LEDs (there's 2 bulbs in there) will help stop that from happening. Also, changing your signal bulbs to LEDs help. If changing signals to LEDs, you must change your flasher to a NOVITA EP35 sold at Advance Auto (it must be a ep35!). If using a ep35 flasher, you will notice your signal indicators do not go completely off while flashing, but they do flash, and it's not a problem. No additional wiring is required for this setup-three wires are already present at flasher harness. Using Vetter farrings (which I do), cause excessive amp draw on the gl1100 charging system, when using tungston bulbs-if you look up ampdraw of all bulbs and asseresories (including factory installs) and do the math, you will be surprised. Your stator only puts out 20 amps at best, and that's at 5000 rpms.....sorry for going off topic....

gamartin
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I Interstate

Postby gamartin » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:49 pm

I also have the Vetter trunk and bags on my 1980.

Someone replace the original connectors in the trunk with barrel connectors.
One day when I checked the lights for operation the barrel connector for the ground came unplugged and acted the same way as your lights.
I would agree, that it is a ground issue.

f1xrupr

Postby f1xrupr » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:29 pm

I like the Vetter package-it makes the gl a rare bird indeed... 8-)

Johnyy Smoke

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:52 pm

I also have the barrel connectors, I will try and test the grounds this weekend, as I am working 6 days a week in perfect riding weather :cry: .
Will post progress or lack thereof then. Thanks for the input guys! Regards, Johnny

Johnyy Smoke

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:01 pm

I have decided that this shall be a "Winter" project.
After looking into the wiring from the faring end, which it would appear that every previous owner and there neighbor has tried to rewire, I found that the wires are colored in a multitude of very imaginative ways, and while being very interesting to look at, none match the Vetter color code :roll: .
The wiring harness is very worn and if you jiggle it ever so slightly the high beam signal comes on, the headlight goes out, turn signals flash at will and my head begins to hurt.
I did find a new harness , both male and female sides, from the Vetter web page for the reasonable price of (U.S.) $22 and some change.
The trunk lights are in the same delightful condition.
Also the Vetter page has info on the color codes for the harness and this shall help me untangle the mystery, not to mention miles of wire which appears to lead to nowhere , or maybe somewhere, or perhaps insanity.
I shall endeavor to fix all this in the winter, if you don't hear from me by spring, it will be safe to assume that I have been lost in the war.
Regards, Johnny

Johnyy Smoke

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:56 pm

I fixed the light problem on my Vetter trunk, and with very little effort- I bought a passenger backrest :) .
The ones I have seen on e-bay and such usually started at around $80, plus shipping, in fair condition.
I was never crazy about trunks on bikes and even less enthusiastic about the way the Vetter trunk looks.
So I was checking out Craigs last Saturday, and managed to snag one off of an 81 for the delightful price of $45. It is in excellent condition and I like the way it makes the bike look. Got some pics, as I know you guys like pics! Regards, Johnny
Attachments

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”