Timing question

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
robertdawber
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Timing question

Postby robertdawber » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:09 pm

If I set the timing and then secure the left cam, wheel and belt--then remove the other wheel, and replace the cam--when I put everything back (lining the belt wheel up with the timing marks) in would that once removed cam automatically adjust to the correct timing? Or do I need to do something more?
Bob

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Re: Timing question

Postby wingman12 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:22 pm

You need to manually slowly turn the engine as if you were adjusting the valves to verify no binding and that the valves do not come in contact with the Pistons. I Would then go thru the timing and valve adjustment steps before you think of starting the bike. I am sure you will get additional advise on this subject. :D :D

robertdawber

Postby robertdawber » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:30 pm

wingman12 wrote:You need to manually slowly turn the engine as if you were adjusting the valves to verify no binding and that the valves do not come in contact with the Pistons. I Would then go thru the timing and valve adjustment steps before you think of starting the bike. I am sure you will get additional advise on this subject. :D :D

This is a great start!!
What would the binding mean?
And (aside from the adjustments I would make) the cam would fall in or close to the timing?

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:45 pm

The cam moves the valves , you need to make sure that the valves are opened and closed in the proper order. Binding would be if the cam is off and while turning the engine you feel something stopping the smooth movement of your engine a valve is sticking the piston, your timing is off and needs to be corrected prior to starting the engine. After you have confirmed the cam installation is correct, adjust your valves. :D :D

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Postby f1xrupr » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:29 am

Timing is critical, and is set by timing marks on the cam sprocket, and or the flywheel under the inspection cap that is located on the top of the engine case. There is no other timing adjustments needed. Search this forum under "how to...", and tripple check yourself, because there is no room for era. One of the cam sprocket must be held against spring tension in the proper belt replacement procedure. If installed incorrectly, miner damage can be done even turning engine slowly if piston comes in contact with valves.
There are 2 sets of marks on the cam sprocket, and it's critical that the correct marks are used!
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

robertdawber

Postby robertdawber » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:01 am

f1xrupr wrote:Timing is critical, and is set by timing marks on the cam sprocket, and or the flywheel under the inspection cap that is located on the top of the engine case. There is no other timing adjustments needed. Search this forum under "how to...", and tripple check yourself, because there is no room for era. One of the cam sprocket must be held against spring tension in the proper belt replacement procedure. If installed incorrectly, miner damage can be done even turning engine slowly if piston comes in contact with valves.
There are 2 sets of marks on the cam sprocket, and it's critical that the correct marks are used!

Thank you for the reply.
I know how to set the timing. How will I know if the cam is placed in correctly? I guess I may not have been clear ;) and once it is in place, other than me setting and checking the timing, is there anything else I may need to do?

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Postby f1xrupr » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:03 am

It sounds like you may have the cam out. The cam sprocket and the cam shaft are "keyed" together, and that assures that the cam is correct if the sprocket is correct.
The safest way for cam installation is to back off all rocker arm adjustments so they do not open valves at all.
By doing that, there is way less chance of accidentally bending valves, and also, there will be no need to hold spring tension in any sprocket for belt installation.
If you take time and study (until you completely understand) the function of the mechanical relation between piston and valves, it will help you in this repair, any any more that may be needed in the future. There are some really cool animations of the 4-cycle engine function on you tube.
Please keep in mind-all of those bolts holding those cam parts together have torque values, and should not be guessed-it is vary easy to overtighten those bolts, and that almost assures engine failures in the future.

My exercise bike is a goldwing.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”