Carb Leak After Rebuild

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
cruisin_n_style
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Carb Leak After Rebuild

Postby cruisin_n_style » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:53 pm

Hello, new Goldwing owner here. I purchased a 1982 GL1100A last year as a project bike. I am rebuilding everything and will ride it for a while. If I like it, I will keep it, otherwise I will sell. This will be my third bike, but first Goldwing.

I ordered the complete carb overhaul kit from Randakk and just finished reassembling the carbs. I decided to bench test them by elevating a funnel and hooking it up to the fuel inlet and filling with fuel. I filled it up and waited a little bit. Everything seemed okay. I started turning the throttle linkages and looking down the throat of the carbs. After a few turns I can see fuel squirting out of carbs 2, 3, and 4. Unfortunately carb 1 isn't squirting any fuel. So this is my first issue. All the jets and orings/seals have been replaced with oem ones and randakk's viton orings. What could cause no fuel to be making its way into carb 1?

But my main concern is that I have a decent leak on carb 3 not far from the fuel inlet. On the bottom side of the carb. I snapped a photo pointing to the leak origination area with a pen. Can anyone just let me know what I'm looking at and what the likely issue is before I take it apart again? Thanks guys.

cruisin_n_style

Re: Carb Leak After Rebuild

Postby cruisin_n_style » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:00 am

Sorry guys, but I tried to post a photo. I keep getting an error message.

"SQL ERROR [ mssqlnative ]

SQLSTATE: 22003 code: 8115 message: [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type int. SQLSTATE: 01000 code: 3621 message: [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]The statement has been terminated. [3621]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists."

Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

74 BMW R90/6

Postby Overdog » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:36 am

It could be the little O-ring that fits between the float bowl and carb body. Does it leak all the time or only when you move the linkage to activate the accelerator pump? The orfices on the accelerator pump nozzles are very small (as well as the opening in the tubes themselves)...maybe #1 is clogged?

cruisin_n_style

Postby cruisin_n_style » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:56 am

Leaks when moving the linkages to activate the accelerator pump. I know there is an oring in there where the bowl meets the carb body. I'm certain I replaced it. But maybe it fell off on reassembly. I'll know soon enough. Going to take the bowl off shortly..

cruisin_n_style

Postby cruisin_n_style » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:06 pm

Sure enough, that oring must have fell off during reassembly. Opened it up and it was missing. Got a new one and put it in, all better!

However, I still can't get fuel to spritz into carb #1. I'm guessing the nozzle in the carb throat is clogged but I don't know how to clean it as it sits. Any ideas? I'm guessing my only option is pull carbs 1&3 apart again and take out the skinny accel fuel tube that feeds carb #1 and try to run a thin wire or compressed air through that passageway in carb #1

cruisin_n_style

Postby cruisin_n_style » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:34 pm

Hey guys, sorry I have been busy. I bench tested the carb rack and I have zero leaks. Everything looks good. Oddly enough....I now have a new problem.....that wasn't there before. I now suddenly have NO fuel spritzing out of any of the accel pump nozzles in the carb throats now!?!? Any ideas? I did the troubleshooting.... took off carb 3 bowl, sprayed cleaner through the accel pump circuitry, then compressed air through all crossover tubes and accel nozzles. Everything is clear and flowing. I pushed the accel pump shaft down a bit with my thumb and sure enough, loads of fuel came blasting out into my face, haha. So the pump works, and all circuits are free and clear........yet when assembled it is not squirting fuel out the nozzles on bench test. ANY IDEAS? I'm completely lost now!

The one and only thing I can think of is that the linkages is not compressing the accel pump shaft enough to squirt the fuel through the circuits? It appears when operating the linkages it only compresses the accel pump approx 1/8 inch before that spring on the linkage starts compressing. Do I need to bend the metal tab slightly to allow more compression? Or is something inside the accel pump assembly too stiff?

Any ideas appreciated! I want to get this beast running!

Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

74 BMW R90/6

Postby Overdog » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:37 am

Are you absolutely sure that you have the proper O-ring? I made the mistake of getting a cheap rebuild kit from Ebay and they didn't include the right O-ring. I tried to use an O-ring from a Harbor Freight kit that I had and the O-ring that would fit was too thick and blocked the passage to the crossover tubes. If the tubes and nozzles are clear as you say, I think you should check that O-ring again...a blockage there would cause the symptoms that you describe.

cruisin_n_style

Postby cruisin_n_style » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:07 am

Yup its the correct oring sent right from Randakk's kit. And it fits properly and is installed properly.

cruisin_n_style

Postby cruisin_n_style » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:29 pm

And the accel pump tab is set for 10mm between it and the stop which is the proper setting....increased to 1/2" and it's still not pumping. WTF

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”