cylinder 4 not firing

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
cheetahchrome
Motorcycle: 1981 gl1100 standard

cylinder 4 not firing

Postby cheetahchrome » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:05 pm

So last season my bike would hit 100mph easily, but this year (despite the fact that it still runs very smoothly) its having trouble even reaching 70 with the throttle pegged. I felt the header pipes and realized that cylinder 4 is the only one that does not burn my hand. I pulled the spark plug and it is a little wet looking. When i test for a spark i see one, but a mechanic friend told me that doesn't mean it's firing under pressure and advised me to go check the cap and wire. so i swapped the plug, cap, and wire with a working cylinder and there's no change. I also swapped the blue and yellow wires on the coils and bike would not start at all, although I'm not exactly sure what that means.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: cylinder 4 not firing

Postby RBGERSON » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:02 am

Switching the blue and yellow wires screws up the timing/firing. Do a compression check if it's good...Take the air box off and squirt some starter fluid at #4 if she perks up you have a gas flow problem. If not = valve/ring issues. reset the valves check compression again if good great if not put some 50wt. oil in the cylinder if the compression comes up = rings issue..stuck, worn or broken.

This is assuming you have a nice strong spark to start with and if 3 is running well and four is not and it's electrical has to be plug, wire or cap as they both run on the same coil and circuit
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”