Brake Light/Misc Wiring

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
dvoeltz
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Brake Light/Misc Wiring

Postby dvoeltz » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:37 am

Folks:

I am working on cleaning up the wiring on the 1983 Goldwing Interstate. I took all the plastic and chrome off for painting and polishing. During this process, I removed a squirrel's nest of wiring that the previous owner had installed to operate auxiliary lights he had on the bike. I removed most of these, other than the hitch bar that it looks like was hooked up to the brake lights.

The bike is back together and I am now trying to clean up the wiring and figure out why the brake lights occasionally worked. First of all, I noticed one set of connectors is gone and it appears the wires are directly spliced together. I can see where one of the wires looks like it was hot at one time. I'm assuming the connector went bad and they simply directly spliced the wires together. I don't think this is an problem other that making difficult to unplug where ever these wires go. (Pic below)

There is a connector that has 5 wires. It looks like the previous owner has cut and spliced wires to this. In fact, the orange wire is cut and the end taped. Can anyone tell me where the wires are supposed to go coming off of this connection? I have the wiring diagram but am not gifted enough to figure it out. Here is that connector:

Is it possible that he cut the orange wire on this harness and spliced it to the red wire on the connector? The orange wire attached to the red wire has an inline fuse.

Concerning the rear brake light switch, is this negative leg of the brake circuitry? It appears the previous owner has one wire attached to the frame. Where does the other wire attach?

Thanks for your help.

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Re: Brake Light/Misc Wiring

Postby CMReynolds1 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:04 am

Hopefully this will help you a little.............
Attachments
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:18 pm

CMReynolds1 wrote:Hopefully this will help you a little.............

The originals of those jpgs are 2048 x 1536. Those are resized to 768 x 576. Too small to be able to read the text when you zoom in on them. I tried attaching one to a post once and it got resized, too.

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Postby CMReynolds1 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:27 pm

To even send them, I have to make them a pic. That destroys the fine print. Sorry. Maybe getting a manual for your bike would be best.
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:13 pm

The originals are still available here if that helps

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Oldbear » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:08 am

The first picture (three yellow wires) are likely the stator wires. The plug is prone to melting; many of us remove and hard wire these. No need to have a quick connect.

Pictures two and three look like the PO hooked an aftermarket relay - possibly for the extra lights/horn/driving lights...

The last picture is an inline fuse - I'm guessing it has a 30 amp ATO fuse. This is an often done mod to replace the dog bone fuse that is prone to cracking and leaving you stranded. Check the connection into the "main" fuse of the bike - mine was melted.

First and last mods are great to have done, if done correctly - good connections not bad crimps. I've done both - one for preventative one for repair. The relay... it looks like they used shrinkable crimps... find out where it leads to.

Good luck.
Attachments
Melted connector and removed dog bone...
Melted connector and removed dog bone...
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

dvoeltz
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Postby dvoeltz » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:43 pm

The in line fuse comes off the right side of the terminal where the dog bone fuse is located. I managed to short out the dog bone (and it killed the entire bike) but there were three spares located right underneath it so I replaced it and restored power. I'll do some more tracing of the wires but I suspect the relay was used to attach the auxiliary lights on the bar to the brake light circuit so it would operate in conjunction with the brakes. I also got a replacement brake light switch as I think it was causing issues as well. Just have to find a few minutes to play with it. I'll report back later.

Thanks for your input.

Dave in Pierre, SD

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”