My First Goldwing...

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
hummel
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100 Aspencade

My First Goldwing...

Postby hummel » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:18 am

Hello Everyone.

Not sure if this is the right topic to introduce my self and my bike. But anyway..

I recently bought this beauty, it couldn't run, brake or charge the battery. But I took a chance and bought it anyway..

After a good clean of the brake calipers and the mastercylinders and new brake pads the brakes are sort of okay, the front brake isn't something to tell about. How ever it took me a while to find out that the rear brake also activate the right caliper in the front :o

I safe the battery with a good recharge. And got the engine started, it sound terrible, it sounded like ever chain inside was about to pop :shock: specially at deacceleration. Anyway i took it for a spin to get it warmed up so i could change the oil and filter.

When warm I pulled the drainplug only to find some very thin very black "oil" smelling like petrol :shock: . Good for me a didn't go too long with that. New oil and filter, and it was good to go.

I also change the little ruber seals at the valves, can't remember the name in english, and adjusted the valves.

However the engine still sounded terrible, and after a little search in here i located the carbs as the fault. Pulled them of and apart, every jet was clocked, also the tiny ones in the top that can't be pulled out. Everything got cleaned nicely, and new jets, neddles, air cut-off valves, accelerationpumps and mixture screw was fitted. I putted the carburators back on and adjusted idle mixture with colortune, every mixture screw is set 2 turns out, and finally I syncronize all four.

:o Woooow what a difference!! The engine has no sound at all at deacceleration, and only a little sound at low RPM when she has to pull. And also i little tickle from the left side, maybe from the valves. But the bike runs great now! :D :D

Well that was the story until now. Now I have a few questions for you guys, hope you wanna help ;)

1. The Radio can't remember any channel or the clock, is this fault? Or normal onthese old bikes. There is No power at the fuses under the tank when the ignition is off. Is there fuses anywhere else?

2. The front end seems Very woobly, is that normal ? I already cleaned out the fork, and refill ATF oil, maybe a better oil will help ?

3. The Tires a old and i need new ones, can you guys recommend any special brand ?

4. On one of the pictures you can se a Oil/filter indicator ? How does that work ? It is Yellow now and i just change oil and filter.

5. How do you set the clock on the radio ?

Seems to be all that I will bother you Guys with right now. :D Ohh and if anyone knows the bike please let me know, could be fun to get a little history. :D

Thanks

Tommy Hummel
Denmark

hummel

Re: My First Goldwing...

Postby hummel » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:23 am

Pictures:

hummel

Postby hummel » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:23 am

maintainer
Motorcycle: 1977 GL 1000
1982 GL 1100 Interstate (Sold)

Postby maintainer » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:07 am

Congrats on your repairs, your bike, and joining this forum.
I can't answer all your questions.
I lucked out and found my always garaged GL1100 with only 30000 miles in Wineberry.
All I have had to do is ride it and perform preventative maintenance, not bad considering it is over 33 years old.
The wobble is likely from your worn out cupped tires or the steering head bearings.
1982 GL 1100 Interstate SOLD
1977 GL 1000 Standard (naked can be good, who knew?)

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:45 pm

CHANGE THE TIMING BELTS!!!! check the stator output should be 11-12 at idle and 13.5 +/- at 3,000 rpm's, look at the connector just forward of the battery the one with the three yellow wires it maybe burned/melted if so cut it out and solder the wires..order doesn't matter..or at least cut out the old connector and fit bullet or spade connectors there. check the oil again for gas..always turn the petcock off when she is not running. check the weep holes on the fuel pump and water pump if leaking = replacements.

good riding...
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:10 pm

hummel wrote:1. The Radio can't remember any channel or the clock, is this fault? Or normal onthese old bikes. There is No power at the fuses under the tank when the ignition is off. Is there fuses anywhere else?

2. The front end seems Very woobly, is that normal ? I already cleaned out the fork, and refill ATF oil, maybe a better oil will help ?

3. The Tires a old and i need new ones, can you guys recommend any special brand ?

4. On one of the pictures you can se a Oil/filter indicator ? How does that work ? It is Yellow now and i just change oil and filter.

5. How do you set the clock on the radio ?

First off, as others have mentioned, before go any farther, CHANGE THE TIMING BELTS!!!

OK, also, unless someone has done Frankenstein-type surgery to your bike, you have a 1983, not a 1982. The digital dash did not come out until 1983.

1. Remove the left-hand turn signal in the fairing. Behind it you will find a rat's-nest of wires, containing three in-line fuse holders. Inside one of them will be a 1 amp fuse that is burned out. This fuse keeps the radio memory and clock running when the bike is turned off.

2. Check your front wheel bearings, steering bearings, rear wheel bearings and swingarm bearings as well.

3. I'll leave this to others...my preference on the GL1100 were Avon Venoms.

Adjusting clock
Adjusting clock

hummel

Postby hummel » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:11 pm

Thank you for the answers. Great help. The 1 amp fuse was burned, turned out that previously owner ad connected parking light to a non original switch and over this fuse, new fuse and tood of the not original wiring. Now my Radio channel is set, saved and the clock is also set :) :D

And the service indicator is just superb! Thanks!

Mmm The timing belts.... I Thought about them when the carbs where of. But I didn't wanted to use the money, but your guys right, it is a stupid place to safe money. What about the roller bearing in the belt thighting system ? Do you also change those ? Seems a bit pricy :(

Sorry about the year, it was a misunderstanding. I have a 1983 GL1100 :D

How would you guys check the wheel bearing ?? take the wheel of and turn the bearing by hand ?

Oh and another question: About valve adjustment, intake 0.1mm and exhaust 0.13mm right ??

Again thanks for the help with the Radio, clock and service interval :)

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:17 am

Mmm The timing belts.... I Thought about them when the carbs where of. But I didn't wanted to use the money, but your guys right, it is a stupid place to safe money. What about the roller bearing in the belt thighting system ? Do you also change those ? Seems a bit pricy :(

When you consider a monumental destruction of your engine, the price of two belts is insignificant. For older bikes, these need replacing because they will harden over time / or they are worn / or because it has sat for a while the belt may have kinks. The Gates brand will be fairly universal, and should only set you back a small amount, for example eBay item number: 250949229500 from Germany for the pair.

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

hummel

Postby hummel » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:59 am

Just ordered new belts and bearings for the idlers. Your right, it's a small amount to pay contra engine brake down.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:39 am

yep on valve specs and done on a very cold engine over night is best.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

hummel

Postby hummel » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:32 pm

Damn I only got 0.1 and 0.15 gauges.. 0.13 is a bit odd.. :roll:

Oh and a new problem today: After I change the 1 amp fuse for the radio and clock yesterday it wouldn't start today :x Low power..

I know it's a long shot, but apparently you guys know a lot these cycles so maybe you have an idea where to start ? First idea was to unplug the radio and se if that solve the problem ? Is anything else connected to the little 1 amp fuse ??

Thanks

Tommy

redial

Postby redial » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:32 pm

Charging the battery, and having it load tested, would be where I would start. Do not disconnect your radio, first.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

hummel

Postby hummel » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:15 am

I don't have the possibility to load control my battery. But I measured that the bike pulls 15 mA when the ignition is of. Is that normal ? Seems like a lot.

redial

Postby redial » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:37 am

Do you have a battery retailer near you? They should be able to load test it for you. And, while you are in there, you could clean the terminals and cables, to make sure they are not causing any problems.
Len in Kapunda

maintainer
Motorcycle: 1977 GL 1000
1982 GL 1100 Interstate (Sold)

Postby maintainer » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:20 pm

I would make sure nothing like maybe an add on accessory is pulling power thereby discharging the battery when the key switch is off.
1982 GL 1100 Interstate SOLD
1977 GL 1000 Standard (naked can be good, who knew?)

hummel

Postby hummel » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:15 am

So funny story...

The other day when i tried to start the bike and i wouldn't, i notice the front light dimed down, so my first thought was that the battery was dead (this is my first bike with electric starter). And i just fited a new fuse to the Radio the day before, therefor I blaimed the radio for discharging the battery. I charge the battery and started the bike, but after a little trip(100m) the bike would't start again :o . After a bit of troubleshotting I found out that the starter relay wasn't getting any ground. :? Bad ground contact or broken wire I thought. I fitted a new ground wire directly to the battery and the bike came alive again :D

Well I couldn't understand that the wire should be broken, so I found a wiring diagram in here (Thanks). I follow the ground wire from the relay only to find..... The Neutral Switch AND the clutch switch. :oops: :oops: I turns out that it was I mistake from my hand that caused the problem. Everytime i couldn't start the bike it was in gear, and when i could start the bike I pulled the clutch without noticing it. ;)

SO there was no faulty wire or contact, only a newbie with his Goldwing. And I love it :D Thank you guys for the help, I Really appreciate it.

Tommy Hummel

sportsfreaked
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1100I
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition gl1200

Postby sportsfreaked » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:54 pm

Hello Just thought I would say hello and welcome to the site. There are a great bunch of folks on here that are always willing to help! Make sure you sign up for the monthly newsletter. It is a great newsletter that has a ton of useful information in it and is always a good read! Ed

Thanks to all who answer and help. It is greatly appreciated!
Ed

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”