1983 Goldwing Starting


Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
karday
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:54 am
Location: FT Washington/MD
Motorcycle: 1963 Goldwing Interstate

1983 Goldwing Starting

Postby karday » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:59 am



I need some ideas why I can't start my Goldwing. I changed out the battery and I get no lights on Dash and can't start it. Battery is fine and has power.

Dave



User avatar
wingman12
Posts: 610
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:01 pm
Location: Land of Lincoln
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Re: 1983 Goldwing Starting

Postby wingman12 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:07 pm

Does the starter spin the engine over?? is the kill switch in the correct position?? did you check all of the fuses, especially the main fuse?? :D :D

karday
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:54 am
Location: FT Washington/MD
Motorcycle: 1963 Goldwing Interstate

Re: 1983 Goldwing Starting

Postby karday » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:55 pm

no. starter doesn't spin I amnpot getting power to it. What fuse might be bad? Somewhere between the positive pole and the whole system? I do not see power to dash lights.

User avatar
virgilmobile
Posts: 7646
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Denham Springs,La.
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: 1983 Goldwing Starting

Postby virgilmobile » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:23 pm

Verify the battery ground cable is in good condition...
Power goes from the battery post to the starter solenoid.It connects to a 30 amp dog bone fuse under the plastic cover.it leaves the fuse and travels up the 2 large red wires.One wire goes to the regulator module and the other to the ignition switch.When turned on,power leaves the switch on a black wire going to the fuse block.
Turn on your key and use a test probe at the frame and follow the volts starting at the battery positive post.you should easily find where there's no volts.
Remember to test this with the key on.

karday
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:54 am
Location: FT Washington/MD
Motorcycle: 1963 Goldwing Interstate

Re: 1983 Goldwing Starting

Postby karday » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:27 pm

virgilmobile wrote:Verify the battery ground cable is in good condition...
Power goes from the battery post to the starter solenoid.It connects to a 30 amp dog bone fuse under the plastic cover.it leaves the fuse and travels up the 2 large red wires.One wire goes to the regulator module and the other to the ignition switch.When turned on,power leaves the switch on a black wire going to the fuse block.
Turn on your key and use a test probe at the frame and follow the volts starting at the battery positive post.you should easily find where there's no volts.
Remember to test this with the key on.


This sounds reasonable. I have been using a trickle charger but did not remove the cables fro the battery. Suspect this may have fried a fuse somewhere. I found the component off the positive cable that likely contains a relay and fuse. Not sure how that opens up yet but it appears the 30amp main fuse is in the same container as the starter relay? I compared the config from other year GW diagrams and they are the same except for the ones with a Magnetic switch vs a relay. Since I see no power to any ignition lights etc I expect the 30 amp main fuse is bad?

karday
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:54 am
Location: FT Washington/MD
Motorcycle: 1963 Goldwing Interstate

Re: 1983 Goldwing Starting

Postby karday » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:52 pm

karday wrote:
virgilmobile wrote:Verify the battery ground cable is in good condition...
Power goes from the battery post to the starter solenoid.It connects to a 30 amp dog bone fuse under the plastic cover.it leaves the fuse and travels up the 2 large red wires.One wire goes to the regulator module and the other to the ignition switch.When turned on,power leaves the switch on a black wire going to the fuse block.
Turn on your key and use a test probe at the frame and follow the volts starting at the battery positive post.you should easily find where there's no volts.
Remember to test this with the key on.


This sounds reasonable. I have been using a trickle charger but did not remove the cables fro the battery. Suspect this may have fried a fuse somewhere. I found the component off the positive cable that likely contains a relay and fuse. Not sure how that opens up yet but it appears the 30amp main fuse is in the same container as the starter relay? I compared the config from other year GW diagrams and they are the same except for the ones with a Magnetic switch vs a relay. Since I see no power to any ignition lights etc I expect the 30 amp main fuse is bad?


Ok I got the main fuse compartment open and indeed there is a "fuse" blown in it. My first encounter with this kind of fuse which I believe you called a dog bone fuse. It is secured to the component with two screws. Where do you find these type of fuses? Since I have had no luck with Honda dealers regarding repairs on this vintage motorcycle I want to ask GW experts where Imight fiond this style of fuse on line or if in a Advance auto type store.

User avatar
virgilmobile
Posts: 7646
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Denham Springs,La.
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: 1983 Goldwing Starting

Postby virgilmobile » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:56 pm

If there isn't a spare in the lid,Get a heavy duty waterproof fuseholder and 30 amp auto fuse to fit it.Do not get a mini fuse holder.
Attach ring connectors to it and use it to replace the dogbone fuse.
Usually the wire on the fuseholder is yellow or orange,not black and is close to a # 12 gauge.

karday
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:54 am
Location: FT Washington/MD
Motorcycle: 1963 Goldwing Interstate

Re: 1983 Goldwing Starting

Postby karday » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:02 pm

virgilmobile wrote:If there isn't a spare in the lid,Get a heavy duty waterproof fuseholder and 30 amp auto fuse to fit it.Do not get a mini fuse holder.
Attach ring connectors to it and use it to replace the dogbone fuse.
Usually the wire on the fuseholder is yellow or orange,not black and is close to a # 12 gauge.



I was trying to find one but since Radio Shack is gone in our area I hoped a car parts store may have such and adapter. No luck yet but I did find some Dog Bone fuses and ordered them. Appears that one or both things caused the fuse to blow. Spider wen in fuse area and also having a trickle charger on the bike with out disconnecting a capble. Know any place that sells such a fuse adapter?

User avatar
virgilmobile
Posts: 7646
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Denham Springs,La.
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: 1983 Goldwing Starting

Postby virgilmobile » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:58 pm

Spiders didn't cause the problem.age or a short did.They tend to deteriorate and crack.A trickle charger won't blow it either.Thats a 30 amp fuse link.Either it's cracked or if burnt open,where just the ends are left and are melted,there was something that caused it.Either a sparking wire or bad regulator module.
I get mine in a blister pack at the local auto parts store.Ive seen them in all of them.Do get the one that takes the larger fuse...not the mini.The Maxie fuse holder is overkill.Get a few extra fuses too.you may find one near the fog lights or in the electrical section.Check the auto and boat area at Walmart too.




Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests