Thunk and no Starter

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Thunk and no Starter

Postby Hoosier Jack » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:52 am

I have been undergoing a motor change on my 82 1100. I finally got my water leaking problem fixed, bad water pump, bad casings etc. Yesterday was the first time I have been able to hear the new (to me) motor run. It was a bit sluggish and quite a bit of smoke from around the motor as I have painted it and I am sure there was a good amount of oil, dirt that needed to be burnt off. I was very, very happy.

I had forgot to put the new plugs in and did that but when I went to start it again it turned over again fine. Hit the starter again and I heard a distinct thunk and the starter would not turn the motor over. I had to leave at that point but this morning the bike turned over fine the first time I tried it and then the starter would not engage the second time. No thunk but acts like things are frozen up.

I have two thoughts on this, obviously the starter and I am going to pull it to bench test. But does this seem like a starter clutch instead?

Thoughts and suggestions?

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Thunk and no Starter

Postby dingdong » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:36 am

Doesn't sound like a clutch problem at all. From your description "thunk" my first guess is the engine may be hydrolocked. Pull the plugs, cover the holes or take it outside and hit the starter.

Tom
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Hoosier Jack

Postby Hoosier Jack » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:55 am

I posted this on Steve Saunders site as well and Dave, one of the long time contributors, suggested a hydrolock. I pulled the plugs and blew out quite a lot of gas and put the plugs back in and it started right up. I am one very happy man right now. I dreaded the thought of pulling that motor again.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:18 am

From now on make sure you turn the petcock off when parking the bike, to avoid this happening again in the future.

Hoosier Jack

Postby Hoosier Jack » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:43 pm

Just to bring this up to date. I got the bike going, think I have the floats free and a little petcock issue fixed. Bike started up fine but as I took it around the sub it sounded like a diesel knocking. I'm afraid that I have damaged something internally. Rod, bearing, something bad. Now I am back to square one. Great looking bike with a bad motor. I guess I'll be on the hunt for another motor. When I do it this time I will install a new clutch, stator, rebuild the brakes completely with all new stainless lines and whatever may break down. Looks like a winter project. If anyone wants a project I have two motors to rebuild. Come and get em.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”