Old Head dowel pins will NOT budge

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
velvetrider
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Old Head dowel pins will NOT budge

Postby velvetrider » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:03 pm

Oh brother,,I have new pins coming, (Bike Bandit.com) but for the life of me I can not get others,
3 of them in block and 1 still in head, to come out. I have tried Kroils,, an every other thing I can think of. I have dealt with this before and the "mechanic" who was "helping" me just grabbed the end and tried to get one out. After a great deal of effort he did get it out,, but the hole was not the same. As it happens that is the same hole in which the one dowl is wedged in the head with just a 16th lip sticking out. On that one I will have no choice but to crush the lip of the pin in and try to get it out. The two dowel pins in the block are STUCK ! I know better than to crush and pull with the vise grips, this deforms the pin within the hole and makes it tough to remove.

I have cut the protruding part in half on the engine block, see pics, and tried to pull it out with a drill bit inside to prevent it deforming while I TUG.,,,AND TUG,,,ect. No luck. I now have the drill bit in the freezer and a torch out.. heat small spot on block in area, insert frozen bit and hope.

This is my best plan. Anybody got any better ideas, ??? [
img][/img]
Attachments

velvetrider

Re: Old Head dowel pins will NOT budge

Postby velvetrider » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:55 pm

OK I got the two 2 out of the right side of the block,,now dealing with the one in the head. See pic.
I really don't have a clue as to the best way to deal with this one. What ya think,,?? :?

velvetrider

Postby velvetrider » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:12 pm

I worked it out, an got all 3 in block removed,,only took 4 hrs. I got very lucky with to sheared pin in the head. A machinist referred me to an obscure machine shop on the edge of town. Chaos Fabrication. They can manufacture, machine or fabricate almost anything. It took um less then 10 minutes. If you need a part,attachment,or one off part, these are the guys. Just let me know and I will put you in touch with um.

Thanks
Geoff.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:22 pm

So how did they get it out? Did they tell you?

velvetrider

Postby velvetrider » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:31 pm

I was standing there behind the fellow operating the vertical milling machine. He turned it on made a slight adjustment and 1 minute later it was out, in one piece. I didn't see exactly what he did. These guys build from scratch super hot bikes with custom "long" swing arms and ported and polished heads. They have some new CNC machines which can turn billet stock into anything imaginable. I am going to try and get them more business. Do you think you know of something that would benefit us Goldwing riders.?

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:44 am

Being a CNC operator myself, I know custom work is expensive, the company I work for charges a min of $175 an hour in such situations as creating new pieces for equipment, etc. I need to get one of these machines for myself!
However, I am sure prices vary as everything else. Regards, Johnny

velvetrider

Postby velvetrider » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:51 am

hi Johnyy I am certain that their rates are much less. The machines are new/used and their overhead is very low. Having the machine is only half the deal, the other half is getting the business to keep them busy. Right now they are starving in the CNC area, but great skill fabing parts for race bikes. Extended swing arms, even single side ones. I bet they would give VERY competitive quotes right now.
Take care
Geoff.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”