Volt meter and radio stop while riding down the Highway

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Mick83
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing 1100 Aspencade 1983

Volt meter and radio stop while riding down the Highway

Postby Mick83 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:28 pm

I've been noticing my volt meter sitting under 12v shortly after I take off. I checked the 3 yellow wires and they are putting out 5+ Battery has been checking out at 13.5+ When I got home after using my truck to run to the Doc it fired rite up no Probs.

God Bless those who ride and keep them safe, Amen

Mick83

Re: Volt meter and radio stop while riding down the Highway

Postby Mick83 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:45 pm

Anybody ever have this happen. Any input will be greatly appreciated. :shock:

DaveDanger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby DaveDanger » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:42 pm

I have had a similar problem with the voltmeter and radio on occasion, which I've never found a permanent solution for, but have found an on-the-spot fix for.
I'll occasionally notice during a ride, my voltmeter reading down to zero and the radio will not work (Usually all the fairing mounted instrument panel gauges & lighting is out as well). The first several times, It all began working again at some point during the ride (vibration?), but I never realized what had affected it, positively or negatively.
On one ride in particular, I noted the problem, and began pushing, pulling and wiggling various things to see what I could make happen. I realized that by simply wiggling my ignition key more firmly towards the run position, everything began working properly again. It may be a case of worn contacts inside the ignition switch (Maybe a large key ring with the weight of many keys vibrating?) causing the problem, or simply age. But simply making sure the key switch is firmly to the run position seems to solve it.

DD
A successful leader is someone who may be chased down the street by an angry mob but will make it look like he is leading a triumphal parade.

Mick83

Postby Mick83 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:19 pm

Sounds like it. Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking it was something like that also. Something freaky. I do think I'm having some trouble somewhere in the charging system. Thanks, :) Mickey

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:52 am

You say your yellow wires are putting out 5 volts? How are you measuring this?

Mick83

Postby Mick83 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:30 pm

With a digital volt meter, It went up over 6 close to 7 when I started turning on all my lights. voltage gauge on the bike dropped so I checked the battery and it was down to 12.06v. Went for a ride and it stayed at 12.06 turned on just the fog lights and the dash and head lights dimmed so low I couldn't see them. I do have a lot of lights but I used to ride with them on at night once and awhile and didn't have this much trouble. they would drain a little bit but no problems like this. I would turn them off a few blocks from the house and it went back up.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:23 am

OK, first off, the yellow wires are coming from the stator, which puts out AC voltage. I suspect you may be trying to measure DC on these yellow wires, which will mean you aren't reading the correct voltage. At around 3500 RPM, you should be seeing at least 48 VAC on each pair of yellow wires (1 to 2, 2 to 3 and 3 to 1).

If your bike is having trouble maintaining bus voltage, it could be any one of several things:

- Failing battery
- Failing stator
- Failing or incorrectly operating regulator
- Wire or connector corroded or providing resistance

The first thing to do is to measure the output of the stator's yellow wires, as I described above. Be careful when doing this, you are dealing with potentially lethal voltages, so don't go touching these wires with your bare hands when measuring these voltages. Treat them with the same respect you would treat the electrical wiring in your home.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”