GL1100A Front brake question

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
DaveDanger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

GL1100A Front brake question

Postby DaveDanger » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:53 am

Good morning everyone:)
I have a quick question to hopefully help prevent me from damaging something. My front brakes work fine. That being said, I can't put more than a teaspoon of fluid into the reservoir without it leaking. I can basically fill the little indentation in the bottom of the reservoir (enough for the piston to stay covered), but none up into the reservoir itself. I know there's an o-ring where the reservoir fits into the master cylinder, and I'm trying today to replace that o-ring. I have removed the pair of screws that hold on the cap, and I assume that's all that holds the reservoir in place as well, but it does not seem to want to lift out, even with a slim gasket scraper at the parting surface. I want to verify there is nothing else holding that reservoir in place before I begin prying a bit more vigorously. I do NOT want to break something that will cause me un-necessary downtime.

Input?

A successful leader is someone who may be chased down the street by an angry mob but will make it look like he is leading a triumphal parade.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GL1100A Front brake question

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:09 am

You have the screws that hold the cover and the rubber seal in place, and the reservoir is held in place with the friction of an old, hardened rubber O-ring. They can be very hard to work free, but they will come out if you work at it. It's not the end of the world if you do damage the reservoir, as replacements are readily available.

DaveDanger

Postby DaveDanger » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:13 am

It looked like the two screws were all that held it in place, but my luck there'd have been a third one hidden down inside the bottom, and I'd have shattered that plastic reservoir trying to force it. I'll get a second gasket scraper and work on it from opposite sides. If I end up having to replace it with a new one, I will (and I should have ordered one as a spare long before now), but I don't have one on hand and wanted to try and avoid being down for a week or more.
Thx!

DD
A successful leader is someone who may be chased down the street by an angry mob but will make it look like he is leading a triumphal parade.

auctioneeral
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 nake
1981 GL1100 full dresser
Both getting restored

Postby auctioneeral » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:27 am

Try turning reservoir tank 90 degrees and pulling up on it. Some are on there real hard.

DaveDanger

Postby DaveDanger » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:54 am

I've tried rotating it while lifting with the gasket scraper under the edge, and it moves a tiny bit, but it feels like it doesn't want to turn more than a few degrees either direction. I wasn't sure if the parting surfaces were completely flat or if the reservoir were down into a rectangular recess that prevents rotation. I will attempt this as well. Am ordering a replacement reservoir as we speak, in the event that the structural integrity of this one... fails the stress test :)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:41 pm

DaveDanger wrote:I've tried rotating it while lifting with the gasket scraper under the edge, and it moves a tiny bit, but it feels like it doesn't want to turn more than a few degrees either direction. I wasn't sure if the parting surfaces were completely flat or if the reservoir were down into a rectangular recess that prevents rotation. I will attempt this as well. Am ordering a replacement reservoir as we speak, in the event that the structural integrity of this one... fails the stress test :)

It's perfectly round, so feel free to give it a twist:

DaveDanger

Postby DaveDanger » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:08 pm

I did lift and twist and after about 20 minutes of persuasion, the reservoir did come out without damaging anything. I cleaned, flushed and verified no damage to any other parts, and reinstalled the reservoir with several different o-rings that I had on hand, none of which fit properly. Not having the correct o-ring in stock, I finally reinstalled the reservoir with the original o-ring, cleaned thoroughly and lubricated to at lest retain a tiny bit of its original elasticity. It went together ok, with so little seepage, that It'll hold together while I obtain a few spare o-rings from Mother Honda to repair it correctly. Thanks for the hint that it was round and rotatable :)

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”