1983 GL1100 NEED HELP BAD!!!!!

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
War Machine
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A ASPENCADE

1983 GL1100 NEED HELP BAD!!!!!

Postby War Machine » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:41 pm

So im pretty stoked to be an new Aspencade owner and looking forward to the forum!
Ok so here's what I got guys, I just purchased a 1983 Aspencade to start riding around. Here's the problem, it's been sitting in a garage for about 3 years. I got it back to my house and started going thru the bike and seen a couple things that aren't right. First off, the negative cable of the battery is connected by a bolt above the engine. I would think it would be a solid cable going from the battery to the ground lug in front of the engine. Secondly, I had to replace the starter cause it was seized up, put the new starter in and tried to crank it over, nothing... The solenoid clicks but doesn't turn the engine. So upon testing the battery and it being good I jumped the starter to at least make sure it even turns over. I took the plugs out and the it turns over but really really slow. I figured since it's been sitting that the oil needed to cycle so I turned it over a few more times but everytime I stopped turning it over I had to crank it over with a wrench to free it up. So when it seemed it was crank ok I put the plugs back in and the compression seemed to high and it won't crank again... HELP ME! Any advice is welcomed right now! :evil:

MJSantos
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Re: 1983 GL1100 NEED HELP BAD!!!!!

Postby MJSantos » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:31 pm

I think we can start answering your questions. First the battery ground cable for this year is tied to the upper rear engine mount bolt, this is the lower of the three on the a frame piece located on the left side right next to the fuel shutoff. I would for my next step is pull all of the spark plugs the remove the cover bolt from the stator in the rear. use a 12mm socket and rotate the engine clockwise. There should be a little resistance as each cylinder passes though it cycle. This is caused by the cams and the valve springs being compressed. Over all the engine should turn freely. Dumb question is there oil in it? If this bike has been setting for that long was the antifreeze in it or straight water? Winter and water don't mix well. From what I'm reading there's a possibility that this engine could have ring issues or possibly bearing problems. Now if the engine is turning freely then concentrate on the starter and starter solenoid. All of the connections clean? I believe you tried to kick the starter by directly jumping from the battery and still a no go? If the engine is free to turn without plugs but that starter won't move it with a direct jump then you still have a starter issue. Check this stuff out first a let us know.

stevo1903
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Postby stevo1903 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:00 pm

HI

I had a similar problem with my GL1100. Turned out to be a duff battery, even though it appeared ok, and charged up it wasn't enough to crank the engine. Do you have another battery you could substitute, or jump from a car battery?

War Machine

Postby War Machine » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:03 pm

I jumped it off but the engine would barely turn with the plugs in, but when I took the plugs out just to get it to turn a few times and circulate the oil it seemed fine until I stopped.

stevo1903
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Postby stevo1903 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:44 am

Don't know what you mean by you jumped it off the engine. I think you need to start ruling things out, starting with the battery, starter, solenoid. Can you get 13volts from a car battery to connect to your battery, or someone with a jump starter?

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:50 am

You need to change the oil before continuing. You really don't want to run the engine with that old oil in there. Besides just being old there may be old fuel, antifreeze or just condensation in the crankcase from sitting. Drain and inspect the old oil for contaminates. Then try to start her. Good luck!

Tom
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:54 pm

Start over..first turn gas off, pull plugs, jump the start from a car battery if she spins..starter is good if gas squirts out the plugs you were hydrolocked..now they are not.

Next if all that's good take your battery to battery shop and have it load tested or do it yourself if you have a meter and know how..a battery can show volts but have no amps..or not enough..

if that's good put it all back together, key on, stop switch off and plugs lose..jump across the solenoid's two big studs..if nothing there's your issue. If it spins..plugs tight, stop switch on and try her again..should start. Assuming you have gas in the carbs.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

War Machine

Postby War Machine » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:26 pm

So here's where I stand thus far. I put the new starter in and it wasn't cranking still. I put the xmn in overdrive and spun the back tire and the engine spun. After that I changed the oil and filter (before I didn't anything else), pulled the plugs, got new one (which I have not installed yet), and went ahead and replaced the battery. Now, with the plugs out and with the bikes battery alone the motor turns over pretty good. Now I did squirt a little PB blast in the cylinders just as a safety precaution so if there was gunked up rings or anything it would free them up. Everything cranks smooth and good, but like before when I put the plugs back in its almost like thereading is way to much compression in the chamber. First thing in the morning I'm gonna connect the jumper cables along with a fully charged battery and see if itll crank easier. Also I'm gonna take the valve covers off and see if the are valves sticking shut. It might be the intake valves cause I can smell the fumes from the chambers in the tailpipes. Thanks for ALL the advice guys, it's helping a lot and if there is anything else anyone could share I would really appreciate it! Looking forward to getting this Wing soaring again!

War Machine

Postby War Machine » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:36 pm

Got an update! So last night when I went to bed I was running thru the what ifs and did i's of the whole issue. So I got up and sanded down the area where the battery ground and the front ground buss wire connects at the back of the engine. Upon doing that I realized that the negative battery cable was on backwards (which wouldn't make a difference but aggravated me cause it was) and fixed that, threw the charger on just in case and went to bed.
Woke up this morning and went straight to the garage and what do you know the bike fired right up! No choke or nothing, just turned the fuel on and cranked it! Hopefully it'll be easy go with going thru the rest of the bike before I get it on the road. Thanks everyone for all the info ya'll have given and I am looking starting to itch to get on the road now!!! :D :P

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:24 am

I suspect the sanding is what solved it (not the reversing of the cable). If you had put a voltmeter across the negative cable (one end of the meter on the battery negative terminal, the other end on the frame where the cable connects) while starting, you would have seen a significant voltage, indicating that the cable was not connected well to one or both points.

War Machine

Postby War Machine » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:18 am

The sanding and reconnecting the ground to the frame. I guess both the front and the back of the engine needed to be grounded to ensure good negative current throughout. I've put over 500 miles on it since it has started! Pretty good for a bike that's not been started in almost 5 years, just gotta go thru the wiring for the accessory lighting and redo all of that. Whoever wired it all had no clue what they were doing... Total rats nest! Here's the bike just so I can show her off!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”