High Temp clear coat,,??

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

High Temp clear coat,,??

Postby velvetrider » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:32 pm

Not too far from sanding down covers and polishing them... In all my research someone suggested a specific high temp clear coat spray, it blocks UV rays and retards yellowing. For the life of me I can not find the specific product which was mentioned,,,With 80,000 miles on Blackvelvet, she could really benefit from this..

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Re: High Temp clear coat,,??

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:02 pm

Seems like the clear coat allways wears off, starts to chip, etc.
I sanded down all my covers, intakes, carb caps, timing belt covers-all that happy stuff. Talk about a lot of time sanding, hours and hours.
I just use Mothers aluminum polish twice a year - and it keeps everything nice clean and shiney. You cant beat the stuff- it REALLY does work.
Part of my storage process for the winter is to shine all the aluminum up and then apply a little WD-40 with a rag to keep it all from discoloring over the winter.
In the spring a little Zippo lighter fluid on a rag to remove the WD-40, and it shines, and shines, and shines.
I polish again about halfway thru the riding season. In between I just use a clean rag, like an old towel, and buff it out a little.
I have seen Goldwings that were overpolished , the covers and such looked like mirrors, looks kinda funky - in my humble opinion.
Regards, Johnny

Motorcycle: GL1100 Aspencade
Goldwing Streamliner
'06 BMW R1100S

Re: High Temp clear coat,,??

Postby WingNutJC » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:03 am

Hey Velvetrider.

VHT FlameProof Ceramic Clear.

You must cure the coating for it to work properly. Instructions on tin.

Easy to do in kitchen oven. Just make sure She Who Must Be obeyed is not going to arrive home unexpectedly. Harrr. :)

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”