Blew the head gasket at free-way speed - damage?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
kdurfee
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Blew the head gasket at free-way speed - damage?

Postby kdurfee » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:47 pm

I just blew my head-gasket on my GL1100. 61,000 miles. I lost power, looked down and noticed the temp was all way up. I pulled over to the side of the freeway and shut it down. Besides the head gasket, can I expect any other damage?

702scottc
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1990 GL1500 Aspencade (sold)
2005 GL1800

Re: Blew the head gasket at free-way speed - damage?

Postby 702scottc » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:15 am

It should be ok. Be sure and change the oil when you get finished. Those engines are pretty robust as long as it wasn't hydro locked and you tried to run it. Order good oem head gaskets, don't use those crappy aftermarket gasket sets, you get what you pay for. Replace both sides at the same time as well.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:39 am

don't let it sit too long..you may have water int he cylinders..= rust not good.. :cry:
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

kdurfee

Postby kdurfee » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:09 am

Thanks,

I'm going to tear it down tonight after work and order the gasket sets. I've been doing a lot of reading. It looks like cleaning everything will take some time. I'm going to do both sides, and redo the timing belt idler pulleys as well.

I'm super glad I had some cheap insurance with roadside assistance. Progressive sent a truck out to get my bike. Didn't cost me a penny.

Blue1Oldie
Motorcycle: GL1200
VT1100
CX650

Postby Blue1Oldie » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:44 am

Replaced mine after blowing one side about 3 yrs ago. Get a good gasket kit. One that has a complete engine kit. My reason for telling you this, you may want to replace the valve stem seals while you have the heads off. For the extra cost of this larger gasket kit, it's a good investment for no future issues.
Oh, by the way...none of these kits have the right o-ring for the intake manifolds. I bought a full 357 piece, metric kit from Harbor Freight @ $20 that had the needed size o-ring.

I also would like to suggest: when you go to re-install the heads put some oil into the area of the head that is a under the cam and has a bolt holding a cap. I think it's called a "anti-foaming chamber". Remove and put oil in this chamber. It's to have oil in the upper area of the head for lube. Otherwise the oil will take forever to get there. A Honda tech guy/shop owner told me to do this when I re-install the heads! It helped get oil to the upper reaches of the head. It's a great tip.

I also went back after a few heat cycles to re-torque ALL the headbolts, exhaust manifold bolts.

Blue1Oldie

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:00 pm

Besides the gasket you may want to replace the cam oil seals (2),also the end cap for the left side, as the kits don't include these parts.
Athena makes a good top end kit for around $90. Includes valve stem seals. I used it and was satisfied in every way.
You could also lap the valves, while being tedious, its not hard nor expensive.
Let us know how it goes. Regards, Johnny

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:07 am

I wanted to try the Athena head gaskets on my bike, so far I have been running the heck out of the bike and running the RPM's way up and so far so good, gets up over 85 with no problem, too bad my speedo doesn't show higher than 85,,, it just bounces and bounces and such.... :shock: ... First thing I would check is the fan to make sure it's coming on when it should.... :D

kdurfee

Postby kdurfee » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:07 pm

I've got it all torn apart right now. It took me forever to get all of the old gasket off. I did order the athena top end kit. I also lapped all of the valves, then put the springs back on (that took all night to get the keepers to latch until I got the hang of it). After installing the valves in the heads, I installed the spark plugs, turned the heads upside down, and poured Marvel Mystery Oil in the bowls to see if there was a tight seal. The seal is tight. Next up - replace the timing belt idlers. Then I will put it all back together in time to ride it for a week or two before it gets cold. Thanks for the advice. I will be very careful putting the heads back on.

kdurfee

Postby kdurfee » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:24 am

I got it all put back together. Cleaning the heads took a good amount of time. I flushed the radiator with distilled water, then put non-silicate motorcycle anti-freeze in it. I also ran fresh oil through it, and changed it out for new after a ride. I was very concerned at start-up how much white vapor was coming out of the right-side exhaust (the side that blew). I was about ready to cry about it, but a phone call to my mechanic brother assured me that it was just water in the exhaust that was burning off. After a ride it cleared up.

I think I have some bubbles in the the cooling system. My heat gauge has been acting somewhat erratic. I'm keeping a close eye on it, and the reservoir tank.

I did lap the valves, and put new seals on the top of the valves. The bike is starting and running so much better than it did. One of the cylinders had a lot of carbon build up, and the valves were not closing all of the way. They are now. What a difference.

I'm taking it on a 340 mile trip this weekend. I'm hoping it all holds together. I plan on re-tourqing the head-bolts when I get back home.

Again - I'm very thankful for this forum for all I've learned. Thanks for all of your help!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:13 am

See? It was a good thing, in the end! Not only do you have a bike that is running better, you're now more familiar and comfortable with the innards of it, and will feel better knowing it's got a fresh top end.

kdurfee

Postby kdurfee » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:59 pm

On another post I mentioned that the bike ran hot on my long trip. I hadn't put the lower farings back on because I hadn't synced the carbs yet. Puting them back on (after the carb sync) made everything run great. The acceleration roll-on and slow-down is so smooth. Before, when I would engine brake I would have a little bit of miss fires or small pops. Nothing to worry me much, but now it is just smooth. I'm thinking I'm not going to do that carburator overhaul this winter that I was going to do. I don't think I need it yet.

WINGADMIN - yes, I learned a lot, and I'm still learning. I'm hoping I don't have to do this job again anytime soon. If I do, it will go a lot faster, and better.

Thanks again everyone.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”