What do I need / want?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
ankgrays
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 interstate

What do I need / want?

Postby ankgrays » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:38 am

I finally got the rear brakes the way I wanted them...working.

On to the next project - front brakes rebuild. They work fine, but I thought just because of age, I'd do them next.

But...The old girl is peeing down her leg. The fork seals are leaking now.

I've read the how-to, and it makes sense, however I'd like to replace the springs with progressive and get rid of the air assist.

What kind / brand / type of springs do I need? Rebuild kits? Anything else? How do I get rid of the air part...just start cutting?

Thanks!

I don't tolerate voluntary stupidity very well, and it seems to be rampant now-a-days.

"One of the problems about quotes from the internet, is that one cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: What do I need / want?

Postby RBGERSON » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:58 am

Progressive springs is way most go just go to their site and list your bike. You don't have to remove the air ports you can just leave it all in place..but you can remove the crossover tube and the valves and just replace with the correct bolts to seal the opening you can add an o ring to help them seal but usually not needed.

I'd go with Honda kit and include new bushings..
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

bruce swaybill
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100i interstate

Re: What do I need / want?

Postby bruce swaybill » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:18 am

The air provides most of the spring preload that resists the static sag of the suspension. The springs only with no air pressure will make the front end spongie, slow responding to steering inputs and bottom on most bumps.

I weigh about 230lbs and use 20psi front and 50psi rear. I also have Progressive springs front and shocks rear. It has a nice supple ride with hardly any bottoming either end.

Choose wisely.....
Bruce S.
Have a nice day! :)

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”