GL1100 Stereo Replacement

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
firemaple
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

GL1100 Stereo Replacement

Postby firemaple » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:34 pm

I just purchased my GL1100 this weekend and am having issues with the radio not being able to change stations. The volume control is fine, as are the balance and other adjustments I'm just stuck on one station and the tape deck won't kick in either. I'm not really interested in repairing the old unit, and would prefer to simply replace it assuming that would be feasible.

I'm thinking of replacing the stock unit with a newer one that I could hook my iPod up to. Could someone who has updated the radio in their wing give a little information on how difficult this process would be? I've searched the forums and found a few posts but the only thing I've seen are the finished product photos (which look great!). Can anyone offer any advise on what to look for in a radio? I'm thinking of mounting it in the side compartment on the fairing to avoid needing a marine radio but I'm most concerned about the difficulty of the wiring job.

D

zvacman
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Re: GL1100 Stereo Replacement

Postby zvacman » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:18 pm

What year is your Wing? Mine is an 82 with the stereo in a housing above the guages. All of the wiring I needed was right inside of the fairing area. I didn't use a marine stereo because I couldn't justify the price difference. Mine does have a removable face in case it is parked in the rain.

Z
Attachments

firemaple

Postby firemaple » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:09 pm

Mine's an '82 as well, looks just like your picture. Thanks for attaching it, that helps me see what the new setup will look like.

I take it the install was pretty straightforward if everything you needed was right in the fairing. I thought I saw something in one of the posts about the amp being incompatible with non-clarion units, but it sounds like that won't be an issue in this model. Can't wait to order a unit and get to installing :D

zvacman
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Postby zvacman » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:31 pm

Mine doesn't have a cb or intercom. If yours does I think sending it to Sierra is your only real option. I just bought a JVC off the shelf and used a die grinder to carefully cut the hole. The new stereo came with a remote that I zip tied to the left handlebar to make it safe to change songs on my ipod.

Z

firemaple

Postby firemaple » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:24 pm

No CB or intercom here (they're only on the Aspencade and the Interstate I believe) so I think I'm golden. Ordered a cheapie receiver on Amazon and am looking forward to the install this weekend. Thanks for the advice.

firemaple

Postby firemaple » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:31 pm

Finally getting around to installing the new stereo (nice weather kept me from housing the bike all summer ;). What's the trick to removing the old stereo? I'm sure if I had more experience will car stereo installs the process would make sense, and I don't think the wiring will be the issue. I just need to find out how to remove the original receiver.

Any wisdom to offer?

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”